Living in a passive house?

23 hours ago, JohnMo said:

This depends where you live, ours went of, for a couple weeks and now had sub zero nights, little or no solar gain in the day and day time temps not much above 5 degs.  So heating is back on.

For me, solar gain is the bigger factor. We also went back down to sub-zero overnight, with frosty mornings and a bit of snow and sleet.

There was however enough break in the cloud cover to warm the house up. In fact, on the recent cold, bright days we had to use the blinds to stop us overheating.

Agreed though, if it had stayed overcast at the low temp for 2 or 3 days then the heating would have needed to come back on.

22 hours ago, Bramco said:

If you want to collect the £5k grant from the Boiler Upgrade Scheme you'll be on a lot longer than 7 years. ... Sorry - rant over.

I agree.  None of the Govt subsidy schemes work for me.  We would only need about 1-2 kW direct into the slab, and we can't take more than about 5 kW peak, so using the sort of standard template install just isn't a fit for us and we don't have any room in out services cupboard for buffer tanks, etc. (that we don't need anyway).  Another big problem is that Samsung et al ASHP will not supply direct but only through a registered MCS installer.  

I have been looking at getting one of these cheaper ASHPs that are really for heating a Jacuzzi / swimming pool as these are optimised for an temp of ~40°C and the right power range.  The tend to be a bit noisier than a decent unit such as an Ecodan, though.