Boxing in a fridge?

It seems the best fridge types (for our lifestyle) is one of those bulky american style ones. Carpenters are fairly easily able to build a box around them:

box.thumb.jpg.4d663a54a5bb5bba9266b74c1ad7bb65.jpg

The problem with these is that if your fridge dies and a replacement is a different size, you're in trouble, same with if stuff falls behind it somehow (or you want to swap water filters..)

Any opinions on if this is a good idea? Are these fridges typically similar enough sizes to not worry about a replacement fridge? Can you easily pull the fridge out?

A further thought is that many of these (not the one pictured, probably) are plumbed in, with a water filter that needs regular replacing. I'm thinking I might be able to route the water line through the cabinet above the fridge and have the filter sit there?

Edited by puntloos

Looking at that fridge it must have a different hinge system to most out there , the one i have (Samsung) the doors would hit the architrave when you tried to open them , i know there are doors that will open in tight surrounds but not many best check before you build the housing .  

As for the filter where will the feed start ? if it will be coming of a spur under the sink then put the filter there . 

Yes they do move easily .

If you don’t want an American style FF protruding from the framework, as Buzz rightly highlights can happen with many, another option is to have side by side integrated f & f, and use stainless steel doors with big handles, to give that look.

1 hour ago, ryder72 said:

Its a Liebherr. They are designed to open within the width of their body. SUperbly designed and engineered product. Well worth every penny they cost.

+1 for Liebherr. Though expensive at the time still working 20 years later.

What are you going to do to ensure sufficient airflow?

My Mother's fridge eventually broke, she could not get a replacement the same size, so now has a smaller one on a plinth.  It is dreadful.

Liebherr, been our most reliable fridge at work, though will stop working when the kitchen goes above 30°C for a prolonged time.  And we can still get spares for it easily, except for the door seal.  That can take months.

15 hours ago, Buzz said:

We loved this , but only if you have deep pockets , came in at 27K . 

I don't think we have that deep pockets, but what brand are those?

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

What are you going to do to ensure sufficient airflow?

Interesting point, do these fridges breathe at their feet in the front or do you need to provision it properly somehow? I imagine a "well built" wall would be fairly airtight, nice for aesthetics but indeed not sure where the heat would go..