Interior sealing for floors to wall and ceiling to walls

Hi All,

I hope you're all keeping well!

I was hoping to gain some advice from you who have experience sealing up for airtightness.

We are going with Siga Fentrim IS 20 around all our doors and windows and have been advised to seal the joints where the floors meet walls and the ceiling meet the walls.

Our house is a concrete block built house with concrete slabs for the first floor.

Many thanks,

Joe

Your choice is really to use a tape suitable for the materials, Siga do sell a couple of options here, or use a paint on membrane like Soudatight LQ on its own or with a geotextile when it needs to bridge a larger gap. Your choice will also depend on whether you are using an internal airtightness membrane or relying plaster for airtightness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KillyfadNewBuild said:

Thanks Simon.

Was just curious of the different options and what people have used within their homes.

I was recommended Fentrim 20 50/85 for sealing the joints by a local supplier; have you used it before or would you recommend as specific product yourself?

No problem. I haven't used Siga myself but Siga has a very good reputation for quality products. Siga Fentrim 20 should be fine as it's for connection to solid surfaces and you can plaster over it. If you do a search on the forum you'll find loads of preferences, another of which is Tescon Vana. I've used a number of products but mostly Gerband tapes from Passivhaus Systems. I've also used a lot of the Soudatight LQ for floor to masonry wall junctions as there a lot of old masonry to deal with and the liquid follows the undulations better than tapes I've found.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, KillyfadNewBuild said:

Conor, what product did you get and where locally did you source it if you don't mind me asking?

Got it from my architect's store in Ballymena, https://ecohomesstore.co.uk/products/products/varafluid-blowerproof-liquid-airtight-membrane/varafluid-blowerproof-liquid

Tho the one I had was smaller ended up buying a second one so reccomended you get the big tin. So much handier than tape for likes of door blocks, window sills, wall plates etc.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Conor said:

Got it from my architect's store in Ballymena, https://ecohomesstore.co.uk/products/products/varafluid-blowerproof-liquid-airtight-membrane/varafluid-blowerproof-liquid

Tho the one I had was smaller ended up buying a second one so reccomended you get the big tin. So much handier than tape for likes of door blocks, window sills, wall plates etc.

Thanks Conor and also thanks for your advice on my last post a few weeks back regarding first floor insulation.

I never got the chance to thank you.  It's been a busy few weeks.

9 hours ago, Conor said:

Also, forgot these guys are right beside me in Ahoghill.  Going to ping them an email to see if they have any in stock.

2 hours ago, Conor said:

No bother. Btw, I've a LOAD of ventilation, plumbing, screws, etc left over that will be going on gumtree very soon. Let me know of you're interested in anything.

better put that list on here first, Mister.

• 2 months later...

I am getting close to the stage I will need to seal up around the floor to wall and the wall to ceilings joints within the house with Blowerproof; I plan on sealing up all the wall tracking and sockets etc this weekend.

Though around the outside of the floors against the walls (floor to wall joints - see attached photo) we have this membrane down which the contractor needs to keep in place.

Any recommendations how I would approach this - do I paint the blower proof on above and below it? how have you done this?

Thanks,

Joe

IMG_2092.jpg

16 hours ago, KillyfadNewBuild said:

I am getting close to the stage I will need to seal up around the floor to wall and the wall to ceilings joints within the house with Blowerproof; I plan on sealing up all the wall tracking and sockets etc this weekend.

Though around the outside of the floors against the walls (floor to wall joints - see attached photo) we have this membrane down which the contractor needs to keep in place.

Any recommendations how I would approach this - do I paint the blower proof on above and below it? how have you done this?

Thanks,

Joe

IMG_2092.jpg

Would I just simply paint it on above and below the membrane do you think on the ground floors?