Air vent pipe on the roof

japetus

https://images.app.goo.gl/7HfZPexstUmTtesp9

Click on the top link to see how they should be fitted.

As above, that is a "Hatchet Harry" job, fitted just after Harry found out his wife was having and affair....... Whilst hungover.

Needs completely re-doing ASAP as rain will be hammering down into that void and will get into the house. Do NOT accept any bullshit about filling it with mortar. Show Harry the images and send him to the merchants. Biggest issue is if that's the crap he's left on show then what is covered up? :/  

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Haha 1

How is that supposed to be even close to waterproof?  As the lads have said above - it is a total shitshow.  What else are these clowns doing for you?  You need a proper look at anything they have done asap.

I want to know what it is as it’s a bit tall for a soil vent … looks like it was a Friday afternoon fitting, and it’s a proper hatchet job … as a minimum it needs a flashing under the tiles above but I do wonder what is holding the tiles below from sliding..!

Sometimes I wonder if buildhubbers are just secretly posting  random internet images of hatchet jobs just to watch the rest of us go of our nuts….. 

If it’s the real deal - as I Expect it is - then I agree with all the above but just wanted to add - cowboys - bodge it and scarper- don’t pay ! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cpd said:

Sometimes I wonder if buildhubbers are just secretly posting  random internet images of hatchet jobs just to watch the rest of us go of our nuts…..

Now I come to think of it.... @PeterW asked me for a few of my 1st year apprentice pics when we set the forum up. Bugger!!

Some of the things I’ve seen on sites over the past 18 months (and this is supposedly on final handovers of £3-600k houses) make these pictures look tame … quality is appalling unless you keep a check on things - there are lots of people out there who fit into the camp of all the gear and no idea … 

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

quality is appalling unless you keep a check on things - there are lots of people out there who fit into the camp of all the gear and no idea …

I called into a new build I am wiring yesterday.  The walls are insulated and they were about to start plasterboarding the walls, but the detail was appalling with clearly visible gaps from the top if the service void into the loft, so creating the classic plasterboard tent.  I would have taken photo's if the builder had not been present.  I mentioned it to the client and he did not seem bothered.

We used to do through build phase inspections to catch issues before they were found at handover (when invariably they are just bodged) and found it increasingly difficult to get access especially on big sites. Had all sorts of reasons thrown at us (H&S, Insurance, “Qualifications”..) as to why we couldn’t inspect but invariably it was because a lot of corners were getting cut and the quality level on a £500k house was appalling.

I’ve got some photos somewhere but there is one where the wall in the en-suite was so far out of plumb they added another layer of plasterboard half way up and they still had a good 10mm bed of adhesive at the top… and that was one of the good ones !!!

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Cpd said:

Ignorance is bliss……..

I wired a previous house for the same customer (he is a serial builder / renovator, this is the second new build of his I have wired and 2 renovations as well)

His previous new build had appalling bad workmanship installing the insulation, and I pointed it out to him but he did not care.

I bet this new build of his will be sold within a year and he will be onto his next project.  Building to live in then selling shortly afterwards seems to be his modus operandi to avoid being a "developer" and avoid paying tax.