Northstone roof tiles

davejura

I've just been offered Northstone Donard tiles as an alternative to Marley Modern (supply issues!). My roofer has never heard of them, so just wondering if anyone has used them and if so were they OK? They are about 20p per tile cheaper by the way. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, davejura said:

I've just been offered Northstone Donard tiles as an alternative to Marley Modern (supply issues!). My roofer has never heard of them, so just wondering if anyone has used them and if so were they OK? They are about 20p per tile cheaper by the way. Thanks.

They should be as they are based in NI, part of the UK and marketed as complying with the current standards.

The main thing here is to look at the price in the round. Although the tiles may be cheeper, the verge closer, ridge system, clips and other accessories may/ may not be. You need to get a price for all the things you need then compare. It may get even better!

I think the concrete companies/ tile distributors just brand up someone elses' clips etc, supplied in the right thickness.

IIRC Northstone took over Scott's operation. I used to be in and out of their QC lab 20-odd years ago doing calibrations and at the time their "paint" coating was massively better than anything else on the market.

21 hours ago, davejura said:

Thanks. Makie what clips are you using? Roofer is concerned that they have their own clips as ones I was quoted for may not be compatible. 

We are using the Marley solofix clips.