Moving 3,600 bricks

Happy Friday everyone!

If I can get the delivery co to agree to a kerb side delivery how much of a pain in the bum will it be moving 3,600 bricks 15-20 meters? The delivery co didn't seem to happy to leave so many pallets on the path.

The ground is fine so could use a wheel barrow but it's going to take a while I fear.

Edited by Water

15 minutes ago, Water said:

Happy Friday everyone!

If I can get the delivery co to agree to a kerb side delivery how much of a pain in the bum will it be moving 3,600 bricks 15-20 meters? The delivery co didn't seem to happy to leave so many pallets on the path.

The ground is fine so could use a wheel barrow but it's going to take a while I fear.

What is the makeup of the path? Paved? could you borrow a pallet truck?

Could you use rollers to roller the pallets? I have seen myself move some pretty immovable objects with some rollers and a helping pair of hands. 

I once used a sheet of plywood with rope attached to it to skid a 265Kg safe into place just by skidding it along. 

Scaffolding works OK on fairly firm ground, then round fencing stobs for rougher terrain and telegraph poles was for very rough terrain. 

Ideally have some help on hand and the rollers ready and have the pallets lowered onto the rollers, roll them away, rinse and repeat. If not have enough rollers ready so that each pallet can be dropped onto a set of 2 or 3 rollers ready to move them with multiple rollers when you get time/help. 

Think like a Roman. 

Edited by Carrerahill

Its flattened rubble its fine for a wheel barrow but something heavy with a small contact patch would be a nightmare. It's does go uphill a little too which could be an issue.

Edited by Water

1 minute ago, Water said:

Its flattened rubble its find for a wheel barrow but something heavy with a small contact patch would be a nightmare.

Sacrifice a couple of bags of Type 1?

It is doable - just needs thinking.

Is there no vehicular access down to where they are needed even for a car? 

Pallets drag not too bad with the right strapping. 

Hire a small telehandler with a block grab for the day. Will cost you about £200 but life's too short to be hauling 1000s of bricks by hand. You have the bonus of being able to keep the bails wrapped and dropped around the site to make the brickies life easier.

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

• Water changed the title to Moving 3,600 bricks
3 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

What is the makeup of the path? Paved? could you borrow a pallet truck?

Could you use rollers to roller the pallets? I have seen myself move some pretty immovable objects with some rollers and a helping pair of hands. 

I once used a sheet of plywood with rope attached to it to skid a 265Kg safe into place just by skidding it along. 

Scaffolding works OK on fairly firm ground, then round fencing stobs for rougher terrain and telegraph poles was for very rough terrain. 

Think like a Roman. 

We have always called it “the Egyptian method” we have rolled and skidded bridges, furnaces and countless lathes and escalators 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markc said:

We have always called it “the Egyptian method” we have rolled and skidded bridges, furnaces and countless lathes and escalators 

Exactly, simples.

I think the OP needs some 6inch fence posts or telegraph pole offcuts. 

thanks all. think it is going to have to be a beefy forklift or a small telehandler. I hope they don't cancel the order as the bricks are about a third of the cost elsewhere. eek.

pulling them up an incline will probably be too difficult, I'm guessing each pallet is probably over a tonne

Edited by Water

13 minutes ago, Water said:

thanks all. think it is going to have to be a beefy forklift or a small telehandler. I hope they don't cancel the order as the bricks are about a third of the cost elsewhere. eek.

pulling them up an incline will probably be too difficult, I'm guessing each pallet is probably over a tonne

Tsk. No imagination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Water said:

Happy Friday everyone!

Do able but not much fun .

Expect a bad back 💪💪💪

FOOK me sideways with a bent stick. 

No bloody poles, no sodding bits of pipe. 

Get a bloody forklift, unless you are in a town I bet there’s a farmer 15 mins down the road who will do it for a nifty. 

Start as you mean to go on, make connections now and use them throughout. 

Im all for having a go but some of these ideas leave me bewildered. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

What about organising your own delivery using a carrier that can provide either crane offload or fork lift?

http://dorlingtransport.co.uk/truck-mounted-forklift-hire/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw29CRBhCUARIsAOboZbJMDKqPg7O7xXyXkNuY4qyYPs4R0AuROZaJab3n9Dssi3UNJz1I2vkaAuj8EALw_wcB

We run a fleet of  Truck Mounted Forklifts with lift capacities of up to 2500kg, and off-road capability, as well as ’4-way’ machines that can convert to a side-loader at the flip of a switch to enable us to deliver long loads through gates and doors.

We only have a gravel driveway so it's an issue for off loading heavy pallets from trucks that only have a tail lift. What I did recently was buy an 8x4 sheet of 18mm WBP and used that to make it smooth enough to off load a 1000kg pallet of limestone tiles using a manual pallet trolley.

Guess a lot depends on whether you can get the lorry on site at all.