Quick query re fire doors

Porthole

Hi there

I have been asked by the builder to source a fire door which can be cut for the under stair cupboard. The size is approx 600 x 1690 mm for the actual door. Can I just buy a fire door blank and get them to cut it? I know that you are not meant to cut some doors but is that ok? Be grateful if someone could reply promptly as they need asap (as always!)

Thanks so much

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

why an under stair cupboard needs a fire door

It is only needed if there is no other protection to the stair. So if the stair is timber, but is protected by plasterboard then the stair cannot burn.

Theoretically a fire could start in the cupboard and burn the stair, or in the hallway and burn the stair......but the door would not help much.

Or start in the cupboard and spread to the hall......not a proper argument.

I have had this argument with building inspectors re a 34 storey stair, and they eventually conceded that a timber stair was allowed if protected. It is a common misunderstanding, perhaps in the 'how to be a building inspector' book.

As above,  if you do fir a door, 30minuite doors are mostly hollow with stuffing, so you might need a 1 hour door.  which I can barely lift.

First action:  look at the construction to decide if the stairs can go on fire.

2. protect with plasterboard.

3. fire door if necessary.

this is about fire evacuation and spread, not about interpretation of words in Document B.

33 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am intrigued why an under stair cupboard needs a fire door?

As usual 

Plus 1

Why?

BC will accept a fire protective coating that you simply paint on