Retired doctor looking to demolish and build new 6 bed home with a builder …

6 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

"I will raise your point about the mutual design process with my builder as he deals with the architect."

Think could end up a bag of worms. You say something to builder, his head interprets what you have asked, he does a sense check based on experience and his own expectations (which may not be same as yours or in same direction as your).  The architect is working in the builders interest not yours, your just someone being a pain in the background, although you ultimately pay the bills.

Personally I would have the architect work directly for you, so your options have to be heard.

That’s how I would do it if I was not in my early 70s.  The builder showed us round his new build home and it looked good . He took time to explain where extra money would have saved overheating his hone etc.

to be fair, he does listen and we are getting heard , but I agree with you that a third party can hamper communication. I think the 15k bill for planning and building regs allows the builder to progress to demolish our home . I did a build 25 years ago and bought materials and managed the trades for a surgery build .

I worry about how much of this build will exceed a planned 20% allowance for managing the project etc. I expect the builder to work with 

30 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

"I will raise your point about the mutual design process with my builder as he deals with the architect."

Think could end up a bag of worms. You say something to builder, his head interprets what you have asked, he does a sense check based on experience and his own expectations (which may not be same as yours or in same direction as your).  The architect is working in the builders interest not yours, your just someone being a pain in the background, although you ultimately pay the bills.

Personally I would have the architect work directly for you, so your options have to be heard.

41 minutes ago, Wumpus said:

For me, it’s unusual for your builder to lead the discussions with your architect. You are the client and things can get lost in translation at the very least. It may also result in something optimised for your builder and not you, and may put off any other builder competing for the business. Obviously your choice, but it does put a lot of trust and faith in your contractor.

This is exactly what happened when we built a big garage. The architect walked because he was so stressed with the builder's 'design ideas'/attitude. We trusted him because that's what you do when you know someone. It went wayyy  over budget...

It's such a steep learning curve, be cautious. Stuff goes wrong and there are loads of decisions to be made constantly, so you will be stressed and can end up aiming it at the wrong person. 

Really make sure everyone communicates well. On another project, one builder I 'interviewed' with a structural engineer spoke over her so much, it was only after he left that she said, 'Actually, the building doesn't need underpinning...'  Pretty major misunderstanding.

1 hour ago, Wumpus said:

For me, it’s unusual for your builder to lead the discussions with your architect. You are the client and things can get lost in translation at the very least. It may also result in something optimised for your builder and not you, and may put off any other builder competing for the business. Obviously your choice, but it does put a lot of trust and faith in your contractor.

Thermal performance and air tightness will probably not be a priority for either unless you make it so. There’s a decision to be made about what kind of house you want - highly insulated and Passivhaus-like, good, or whatever your builder decides.

One thing I found invaluable is to have a highly detailed schedule of works that defines what will be built, how and to what standards. If you want to have an MVHR working effectively, you might want to put in an air tightness standard to be achieved by the contractor, for example 3 ach for “just about good enough”, or perhaps 0.6 ach for Passive. Your architect can help to put this schedule of works together, but I would be cautious of having your contractor write it without independent expert input.

Thanks . I will ask for a schedule of works in detail . I’ve just got to talking budget . Definitely need to open more talks as we have only talked planning so far . 

been reading a 8 page saga of self build and the issues faced and need to get out in the sun or I won’t sleep with all that could go wrong . Back tomorrow.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jilly said:

This is exactly what happened when we built a big garage. The architect walked because he was so stressed with the builder's 'design ideas'/attitude. We trusted him because that's what you do when you know someone. It went wayyy  over budget...

It's such a steep learning curve, be cautious. Stuff goes wrong and there are loads of decisions to be made constantly, so you will be stressed and can end up aiming it at the wrong person. 

Really make sure everyone communicates well. On another project, one builder I 'interviewed' with a structural engineer spoke over her so much, it was only after he left that she said, 'Actually, the building doesn't need underpinning...'  Pretty major misunderstanding.

Thanks . Our  budget needs to be trimmed as we can’t spend more than the house can be worth and markets are tetchy .  I’m going to talk to 3 estate agents who could advise on realised value on completion. 

im off for the sun now ..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 7dayworker said:

... and need to get out in the sun or I won’t sleep with all that could go wrong . Back tomorrow.

Good idea. Put the whole thing in its place.

Someone with your experience understands sleep deprivation. You will lose sleep. But we're all here - not much we haven't faced.  

Keep the questions focused, and evidenced: that helps us help you.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Have you read this yet?

Yes it had some good achieved and some horrendous outcomes . We have no time to use on disputes and doing work as you wonder if you will get a few more years at my age

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks . I can see that planning has allowed many builds despite objections in Poole and where refused , appeals have worked .

just taking over 8 months to get to planning . All that work on reading about the build is going out of my mind .