Alternative to Festool Rotex

Temp

26 minutes ago, Temp said:

I'm looking for a good rotary sander, can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative to something like a Festool Rotex 90 or 150?

If you're going to be using it a lot, the Festool is well worth the money. I've done more sanding with a 150mm rotary than any sane person should and I've killed four Bosch and a Makita and tried most of the other brands. I eventually bought a Rotex 150mm for a worrying sum, it turned out to be a bargain - powerful, refined and very effective) especially with good extraction. A day of sanding is almost (but not) a pleasure and I never had the numb vibro-hand I had with ALL other sanders. Plus the Festool warranty is excellent: 3 years (not that you're likely to need it) during which time they'll fix your tool and get in back to you in short order. Mine developed a bad connection (turned out to be the power lead), it was collected and returned to me in twenty minutes by a butler who arrived by jetpack. 

My Rotex outlived every other 150 RO and was as good as new after three years of very, very hard use. Sadly it died in a swimming accident.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

In the end I couldn't really justify a Festool (>£450) and went for totally the opposite end of the range and got a 1500W Silver Storm 180mm sander/polisher for £42 off ebay. 

Been using 40 grit and it's made short work stripping 10 years worth of Danish Oil off a load of exterior oak posts and beams. So far I've done the equivalent of about 30 meters of 200mm square.  Seems to be standing up to the hard work.

Edit: Main problem is stopping my goggles misting up.

Edited by Temp