EPS 300 and lower

Triassic

Kore are usually pretty good - when I was shopping around the Kore quote was marginally less than anyone else.  The snag is that it's a very dynamic, and local, market, so there's likely to be a fair bit of variation from one region to another.

I think there are three or four suppliers of the L shaped parts now, plus you can make them yourself by foam bonding hot wire cut bits of 100mm EPS if you want to save money.  A hot wire cutter isn't hard to make; I've made a couple, nicking ideas from the web.

Just now, Triassic said:

What do you mean by "foam bonding", I assume  gluing pieces together to make the L sections? What is the bonding agent?

Yes, spot on, just glue the EPS sheet together with low expansion PU foam, from a gun.  Pretty easy, just squirt the foam, wait for it to expand (maybe 30 seconds or so) then push the parts together.  A mist spray of water on one side of the parts to be joined speeds up the cure, but the low expansion stuff cures in a few minutes anyway.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Yes, spot on, just glue the EPS sheet together with low expansion PU foam, from a gun.  Pretty easy, just squirt the foam, wait for it to expand (maybe 30 seconds or so) then push the parts together.  A mist spray of water on one side of the parts to be joined speeds up the cure, but the low expansion stuff cures in a few minutes anyway.

+1 I followed Jeremy's advice on this and used Soudal low expansion foam. It works simple as. I did on occasion put a board weighted with bricks to hold bits curing

• 1 month later...
On 05/05/2017 at 19:48, JSHarris said:

Kore are usually pretty good - when I was shopping around the Kore quote was marginally less than anyone else.  The snag is that it's a very dynamic, and local, market, so there's likely to be a fair bit of variation from one region to another.

Not any more, they are £3k higher than the next nearest quote.

So having tried the 'insulated foundation system' suppliers and been shocked at the prices £9 to £12k I'm now going to try the more general Insulation suppliers, any suggestions?

Edited by Triassic
Typo

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

Not any more, they are £3k higher than the next nearest quote.

So having tried the 'insulated foundation system' suppliers and been shocked at the prices £9 to £12k I'm now going to try the more general Insulation suppliers, any suggestions?

I've no idea if they sell to single builders but have you tried Jablite? http://jablite.co.uk/

They are the UK's largest manufacturer of EPS. They also own Styropack but I think making your foundation out of fish and chip boxes might be a bit labour intensive :D 

Best price I have had for my slab insulation was mostly from Insulation Giant. I'm using EPS70 though. And some thicknesses were cheapest on fleabay. I didn't use any L-shaped components though so didn't have to get the sellotape out:D

On 05/05/2017 at 19:26, Triassic said:

I've just received my insulated foundation design, can anyone suggest who is currently the cheapest supplier of Insulation?

@Triassic, Mind if I ask who did your design for you. Did you use Tanner or some other??

Thanks.

I have been shopping around trying to find a different supplier to Kore but quite frankly I'm having very little success. I've tried Isolohr and Future Found but the quotes are not good, and the time it took to get a quote from Isolohr would have ruled them out regardless.

Edited by RichS

I usually find making a phone call finding the rite person and send a email to them while chatting to them on the phone you usually get a quick response! 

To make things easy for the person at the polystyrene  company (remember insulated raft foundations is probably less than 1% of their buisness so they might be slightly taken a back if you send them a full on structural drawing with rebar, concrete mixes etc) 

I drew out the L section with dimensions on it and sent them a quote for X amount of linear meter of the eps 300 L section, X amount of eps 300 sheets and X amount eps 100 sheets. I received quotes back pretty quick.  Last time I priced kore, future found etc these guys where the cheapest http://www.styrene.biz

Edited by Alexphd1

We also run out of eps 100 and 300  sheets during setting out ( we increased the foot print ?) we received a pretty quick load from these guys and wasn't far off the original price. https://www.insulationsuperstore.co.uk/product/jablite-eps-300-insulation-board-100mm-x-24m-x-12m-1728m2-pack.html

https://www.insulationsuperstore.co.uk/product/jablite-eps-100-insulation-board-100mm-x-24m-x-12m-1728m2-pack.html

Edited by Alexphd1

10 hours ago, RichS said:

I've tried Isolohr and Future Found but the quotes are not good, and the time it took to get a quote from Isolohr would have ruled them out regardless.

Isolohr use Styrodur xps.  My supply and fit price from them was double their supply only price...which was (almost) double what i've ended up paying for my chosen alternative, Hexatherm Xfloor from Cellecta.  I did go to insulationforless to price Styrodur but they directed me to Fibran xps as a cheaper equivalent anyway.....that was the cheapest xps I found. 

10 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

I usually find making a phone call finding the rite person and send a email to them while chatting to them on the phone you usually get a quick response! 

To make things easy for the person at the polystyrene  company (remember insulated raft foundations is probably less than 1% of their buisness so they might be slightly taken a back if you send them a full on structural drawing with rebar, concrete mixes etc) 

I drew out the L section with dimensions on it and sent them a quote for X amount of linear meter of the eps 300 L section, X amount of eps 300 sheets and X amount eps 100 sheets. I received quotes back pretty quick.  Last time I priced kore, future found etc these guys where the cheapest http://www.styrene.biz

I tried Styrene.biz and basically, after lots of delays, they said they were too busy. They then proceeded to give me the number for Future Found!!

On 08/06/2017 at 09:43, RichS said:

I tried Styrene.biz and basically, after lots of delays, they said they were too busy. They then proceeded to give me the number for Future Found!!

I also tried to deal with Styrene.biz. Lots of bounced emails and not much action. What a waste of time. Why have a web site advertising your wares when you don't actually sell the stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

I also tried to deal with Styrene.biz. Lots of bounced emails and not much action. What a waste of time. Why have a web site advertising your wares when you don't actually sell the stuff.

Exactly my thoughts

• 7 months later...
On 05/05/2017 at 20:05, JSHarris said:

I think there are three or four suppliers of the L shaped parts now, plus you can make them yourself by foam bonding hot wire cut bits of 100mm EPS if you want to save money.  A hot wire cutter isn't hard to make; I've made a couple, nicking ideas from the web.

After years of thinking and prevaricating, the basement hole has finally been dug, mind you it’s cost us twice as much as budgeted due to the hardness of various layers of limestone, hence my other question about value for money EOS sheets, which I’ll be ordering tomorrow. 

I’ve also ordered a length of nichrome wire for a home made hot wire cutter.

Let the fun begin.