Best 12.5mm Soundproofing plasterboard?

JKami84

Hi, I have seen brands like GTEC Siniat dbboard.

Or British Gypsum Soundbloc. 

Wickes has Knauf Sound panels. 

I'm looking for a 12.5mm plasterboard to go over battoned wall with 25mm insulation in my garage. 

Please let me know which brand / product is best. 

the area will be plasterboarded this week anyway, I will just tell my builder to use a soundproof plasterboard than ordinary. I would pay what I need to get best I can. I appreciate it may not be the best soundproofing but Its all I have to work with. 

Are these also ok to use on ceiling? only worry there is if builder deems them too heavy?

My builder is putting me off using / spending any money on acoustic plasterboard -  saying he has them and they make 0 difference.

My sums say I need 60 sq meters (including ceilings). and the difference is from about £170ish for normal to £300 for accoustic. £130 extra which I'd be happy to pay for an 'attempt' at reducing noise. 

Maybe its pychological - if noise becomes an issue and I don't spend the extra, I'll always think "damn I could have spent 130 extra". Similarly, if I spend it and noise is an issue at least I know i tried something not too costly to try and make a difference.

just to add  - I am seperated to neighbours by 9inch wall  - they are insulated on their side as they already converted their garage.

However our ceilings are straight through (after top of 9 inch wall) with joists straight through... but heavily insulated and plasterboarded in our own respective garages. That is probably the bigger concern for noise.

43 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

as mentioned elsewhere this gap at ceiling level is more of an issue and addressing this will probably make more difference to the acoustics than PB...

Yea. Well its going to be jam packed with insulation as far as can reach over neighbours ceiling. So there is nothing I can do to stop that right now. 

Unless we put a different product on the area that sits on top of the 9 inch wall such as below?

But only if this stuff would differ to normal insulation roll being used in ceiling?

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-Earthwool-Acoustic-Sound-Insulation-Roll-50mm-15-6m2/p/143388#

or 

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Rockwool-Sound-Insulation-Slab---100-x-400mm-x-1-2m/p/148842

I hate that stuff that usually has good thermal properties seem to have poorer acoustic properties and vice versa 🤣

Edited by JKami84

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

Remember he could be saying you don’t need them due to the weight in handling them.

just saying…..

They are heavy, we specced blue board for the ceiling of the basement, ground floor and a few wall areas. The tackers made light work of it but I moved a few myself and there was a big difference.

Whether they made much impact on sound transference is hard to say, I suppose they did not make it any worse!

3 hours ago, TonyT said:

Remember he could be saying you don’t need them due to the weight in handling them.

just saying…..

Well... i've said I want them, even if difference is mininal, it will always be psychological to me. 

Problem is he was just unloading 10 standard ones as I said it. I didn't know he'd be getting them this early. I feel bad!

Anyway, he seems to have agreed but seems annoyed - he says acoustic ones are only available in 6 x 4, not the bigger size of normal . So was questioning his battening. but then realised he could lay them sideways. I guess he was just thinking outloud, but not too impressed with me. 

LOL. I get embarrassed easy! 

1 hour ago, JKami84 said:

Well... i've said I want them, even if difference is mininal, it will always be psychological to me. 

Problem is he was just unloading 10 standard ones as I said it. I didn't know he'd be getting them this early. I feel bad!

Anyway, he seems to have agreed but seems annoyed - he says acoustic ones are only available in 6 x 4, not the bigger size of normal . So was questioning his battening. but then realised he could lay them sideways. I guess he was just thinking outloud, but not too impressed with me. 

LOL. I get embarrassed easy! 

He’s talking rubbish available in 2.4m and 3m.