Anti slip coating for wood

Adsibob

We are thinking of putting an anti slip coating on our oak stairs. They’ve been stained with Saicos ground coat, and then finished with three coats of Saicos hard wax oil. I subsequently learnt that Saicos do an R10 anti slip coating, though need to work out if I need to remove the hard wax oil first. (Link below.)

https://www.saicos.de/en/produkt/additive-anti-slip-r10-2/

OSMO make an R11 coating, but maybe there is more risk of incompatibility with the Saicos finishing products I’ve already used?

Does anybody have any experience with anti slip coating for oak floors/stairs, whether Saicos, OSMO or something else?

We’ve decided we are going to carefully try it out first before making any changes as the staircase company says they leave the treads slightly textured so that they are non slip. I tried it in socks, and it doesn’t feel slippery, but we need to see how it performs. Still a bit worried about the kids slipping though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kids bounce 🙂

It's the guests that you need to worry about. Those who live in a house with wood floors and smooth wood stairs with no banisters learn how to walk "assuming no friction" so to speak. Like walking on ice. You can stand on the flat even in shoes.

Those who live with carpeted stairs or shoes in the house tend to walk in a way that assumes their feet don't slide. Like warm country people walking on ice. Or enthusiastic labradors on tiles.

Here's our outrageously slippery and unhandrailed staircase. Guests walk up it at 0.1 mph. We scamper up and down it with coffee in one hand and book in the other without issue. I'd definitely leave it alone for a while until you get used to it; but warn the guests!

PXL_20220327_112335986.jpg

11 hours ago, markocosic said:

Kids bounce 🙂

It's the guests that you need to worry about. Those who live in a house with wood floors and smooth wood stairs with no banisters learn how to walk "assuming no friction" so to speak. Like walking on ice. You can stand on the flat even in shoes.

Those who live with carpeted stairs or shoes in the house tend to walk in a way that assumes their feet don't slide. Like warm country people walking on ice. Or enthusiastic labradors on tiles.

Here's our outrageously slippery and unhandrailed staircase. Guests walk up it at 0.1 mph. We scamper up and down it with coffee in one hand and book in the other without issue. I'd definitely leave it alone for a while until you get used to it; but warn the guests!

PXL_20220327_112335986.jpg

Good advice. It’s actually not that slippery, so at least for the time being we aren’t going to do anything.