Help with LED lighting

Stones

Back to LED lights in general.

I have always been a fan of flourescent lights, particularly in kitchens as they are not a point source of light so cast very little in the way of shaddows. but I am outvoted as they are "old fashioned", look horrible and "hum"

But recently I had cause to fit an "LED" flourescent light.  Standard switch start flourescent fitting but with an "LED tube" and an "LED starter"  I have to say I was impressed with the quality and colour of the light, the instant start, and total lack of hum. And at 25W it's less than half the power of a standard 58W flourescent tube.  Now all i need is someone to make a nice looking fitting to pt them in.

I am just testing some led Flat Panel lights as discussed above, bought from led.me and in soft white 3W and 6W.

I am most impressed with the quality and output of the lights.

The wee plastic box housing the transformer unit is as shown by Stones above.

I laughed when I realized that the screw heads on the box were not screws at all but simply plastic impressions thereof.

Inside the box is a wee printed circuit board:

the issue I am really concerned about is that the input wires are too small to be pinched and held securely by the casing, so the input wires depend on the flimsy soldered connection of two small wires that connect to the PC board, which is floating about freely in the box. Great care would need to be used on installation, if that is not too big an ask on a building site.

On the plus side, I think the 6W version gives out excellent light, both colour and quantity with a good spread, and I plan to use 4 or 6 of them in a room.

1-IMG_20160928_075613863.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 06/06/2016 at 19:07, Stones said:

I've just done an initial quick test on two 6W lights that I ordered off eBay. Have to say very impressed with quality of light / how well they perform. However, I've yet to do a radio interference test...

Can I ask, how has your experience been over the last 6 months?  and are you getting any radio interference? any negatives?

On 07/06/2016 at 17:23, Alphonsox said:

In this case I bought an identical replacement as a trial. I still need to work out what the best configuration would be to drive the multiple panels in the Kitchen diner.

Could you post what configuation you went with in the end please?

Guest Alphonsox
18 hours ago, Fallingditch said:

Could you post what configuation you went with in the end please?

I decided to defer the decision to a later date. I currently have cheap noisy drivers which wipe out the radio when turned on. These will be replaced in the fullness of time.

On 1/29/2017 at 21:08, Fallingditch said:

Can I ask, how has your experience been over the last 6 months?  and are you getting any radio interference? any negatives?

They have just been fitted, will report back in a couple of days.  Electrician didn't seem at all fazed fitting them (connection strip and choc box) and they certainly look very neat in the ceiling.

3 minutes ago, Stones said:

They have just been fitted, will report back in a couple of days.  Electrician didn't seem at all fazed fitting them (connection strip and choc box) and they certainly look very neat in the ceiling.

A few photos of their overall appearance would be great :-)

• 8 months later...

Disinterring this thread...

I need a recommendation for GU10 LED bulbs to use with the Inseki range of ceiling lights from Screwfix:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/inseki-4-light-spotlight-brass-220-240v/7601v

These are giving me 3 or 4 directible but not dimmable spots for an average (say 4m x 3.5) metre room. I think I need LED spots (probably warm-white) with a highish output.

Can anyone recommend a decent supplier and bulb?

Cheers

Ferdinand

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Disinterring this thread...

I need a recommendation for GU10 LED bulbs to use with the Inseki range of ceiling lights from Screwfix:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/inseki-4-light-spotlight-brass-220-240v/7601v

These are giving me 3 or 4 directible but not dimmable spots for an average (say 4m x 3.5) metre room. I think I need LED spots (probably warm-white) with a highish output.

Can anyone recommend a decent supplier and bulb?

Cheers

Ferdinand

I personally dont think you can beat the Megaman GU10 LED's. As bright as normal halogens and dimmable. Certainly not the cheapest though.

EDIT (Wrong item linked!)

https://www.energybulbs.co.uk/megaman+7w+dimmable+gu10+led+-+warm+white/2177676229?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0afD98PR1gIVBSNoCh2wfg2SEAYYAiABEgIg1PD_BwE

Edited by Barney12

17 hours ago, Barney12 said:

I personally dont think you can beat the Megaman GU10 LED's. As bright as normal halogens and dimmable. Certainly not the cheapest though.

EDIT (Wrong item linked!)

https://www.energybulbs.co.uk/megaman+7w+dimmable+gu10+led+-+warm+white/2177676229?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0afD98PR1gIVBSNoCh2wfg2SEAYYAiABEgIg1PD_BwE

Thanks.

In the end I went with some warm white non-dimmable LAP ones from Screwfix - not quite as high output or perhaps quality, but still 5.3W and came in packs of 10 so give me some spares.

Here - review at 5* by 70 reviewers.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-gu10-led-light-bulb-345lm-5-3w-10-pack/8140k

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

• 3 months later...

Some very useful info on this thread about slim LED downlights :)

I bought a few of these from Ebay to test out but i am a bit concerned with the sticker on the back which says

"do not use on the same circuit as fluorescent, halogen, HID light sources or extractor fans as they may create spikes which could damage the LED driver"

The light and fitting design is great but is this warning a caveat for crap quality components?  seems crazy to have a driver which can be damaged by other lights on the circuit. That's basically useless IMHO

Anyone else seen this? or have an opinion?

Mike

DSC_1880.JPG

• 2 months later...

I've not seen that on any of the 15 or so various flat panel fittings that I've bought over time. That said, all my drivers have about 10% of the components of the one in your picture!

Sorry, missed this earlier.  The solution would be to fit a surge suppressor in the feed to these drivers, so they don't see any spikes from anything else.  Not hard to do, just fit the suppressor in a wago box across the line and neutral, in line with the feed to the lights.  Something like this would do the job I expect: http://uk.farnell.com/roxburgh/xe0475/rc-network-250v-0-5uf-47r-pcb/dp/2336100 .