Insulated Catnic - illusion?

So looking at the plans and I'm supposed to buy insulated catnics - but looking at them the insulation makes no sense as they are one giant cold bridge. The amount of heat transfer through the air in their cavity would be so minor compared to that whacking great bridge of metal that I'm not clear if it is simply an attempt at blagging. Am I missing something?  

Insulated catnic.jpg

ig-lintels-l1hd-wil-featured-steel-lintel.jpg

Edited by curlewhouse

I don't think you can buy uninsulated lintels now ..! Yes it is a cold bridge but unless you want the joy of building two separate skins and managing the lintels and the insulation and openings they are no worse than the big expanse of glass below the lintel..!

Hi Declan52. I never thought of that. Has anyone done any cost comparisions between cavity lintels and the option of using an external galv lintel and a concrete internal one?

Concrete internal lintels start to get expensive and unwieldy at anything above 1700mm as they are invariably 215 x 100mm and that gives 27kn loading. 

As an example using 1800mm lintels

Catnic single (£32) Naylor Concrete (£69) £101

catnic CG90 £43

It does make sense if you go over a 200mm cavity as the pricing goes silly for cavity lintels at anything above 125mm

20 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Concrete internal lintels start to get expensive and unwieldy at anything above 1700mm as they are invariably 215 x 100mm and that gives 27kn loading. 

As an example using 1800mm lintels

Catnic single (£32) Naylor Concrete (£69) £101

catnic CG90 £43

It does make sense if you go over a 200mm cavity as the pricing goes silly for cavity lintels at anything above 125mm

Wouldn't need a 9 inch head for that span, 6inch would be fine. I have 2 concrete prestressed heads at 4.4m long over my patio doors. They took some handling!!! 2 Brickies will easily lift heads up to 2.5m and if they are bigger you can always use a digger or telehandler to sling them in.

Edited by Declan52

My 150s came direct from Catnic so on a 4 day turnaround - most BMs have 100s on same day in stock which isn't a huge delay but you need to bear it in mind. 

I used Condell online and they beat everyone's prices

• 8 months later...

We are converting a building that has catnic lintel already in situ over a wide opening that will become bifold doors

The lintel is uninsulated.

Is there much point trying to squirt insulating  foam through the holes (there is  a regular pattern of holes on inner side of the lintel) to try to fill it up the hollow with an insulator ??

Thanks

Edited by Lin

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yes, plenty of merit to that solution. Just be sure not to allow the foam to expand beyond the end of the lintel. 

+1 to that. Squirt the inside with a bit of water at each end to make it go off quicker and then fill the last 6" of each side. Let it go off for a few hours then go back and fill the centre section up through all the holes.

Strangely satisfying, but don't stand under it once you've done it as you will get it in your hair... ask me how I know !

• Like 1