Switching on the UFH

Jilly

I'm new to the dark art of plumbing and am at the point where we need to switch on the UFH. I've read we need to increase the heat 5 degrees a week to stop the screed cracking, but find that the mainifold says 'minimum' which presumably  is 30 degrees which presumably is the lowest it can go. How many hours a day should I start with? Or should I programme the room stats to say 15 degrees?

Back ground: we have a new Worcester LPG boiler. A compromised choice. 

Also the plumber has put room thermostats in each zone but I will have to figure out how we are going to live as my parter loves heat and might put a fan heater on for quick heat and so inadvertently  turn off the UFH. Would an infra red heater cook him and not the room?! 

15 minutes ago, Jilly said:

... Would an infra red heater cook him and not the room?! 

Him, not the room.

BUT, try not to cook him quite so much that - since nature abhors a vacuum -  he becomes so warm that he doubles as a  room heater

Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Haha 1

Rule of thumb is it takes 1 day per mm to dry upto 50mm after that 2 days per mm for sand cement screed.

As for heating the floor, id check the temp dial is actually set to what it is ready. Mine needed moving around a few splines as it read 30c and was producing 20c.

I started mine 90 days after after the floor went down. Started at 20c and over the next 2 weeks worked my way up to 40c at the end of 2 weeks. No cracks and worked for me, hope that helps.

Fly

Edited by Fly100
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fly100 said:

Rule of thumb is it takes 1 day per mm to dry upto 50mm after that 2 days per mm for sand cement screed.

As for heating the floor, id check the temp dial is actually set to what it is ready. Mine needed moving around a few splines as it read 30c and was producing 20c.

I started mine 90 days after after the floor went down. Started at 20c and over the next 2 weeks worked my way up to 40c at the end of 2 weeks. No cracks and worked for me, hope that helps.

Fly

By floor, do you mean after the screed or after the tiles went down? We waited until the screed was dry (quite a dry mix was used also).