installing new lights - advice please

TryC

Hi All,

So the plasterer wasn't able to put back the ceiling light and we bought a new one to be put in its place (as it was pretty old style - probably over 30 years). I had intended to keep it after plastering was complete, but since it wouldn't go back up and it was eventually thrown away in error, we got a new one.

But I am not sure how to put this up - or is it best to get in an electrican? I had bought this from B&Q and reviews did say installation was pretty easy!

Screenshot_20220227-113358_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220227-113415_Gallery.jpg

First picture. Has the plasterer REALLY plastereed over / around the ceiling rose?  That's what it looks like.

That has to come out, be skimmed again, first making sure there is something above the plasterboard to screw into to fix the light fitting to.

OR get a different light fitting with a MUCH larger part on the ceiling.

51 minutes ago, ProDave said:

First picture. Has the plasterer REALLY plastereed over / around the ceiling rose?  That's what it looks like.

That has to come out, be skimmed again, first making sure there is something above the plasterboard to screw into to fix the light fitting to.

OR get a different light fitting with a MUCH larger part on the ceiling.

he overboard the ceiling and said that was the only way he could get around the ceiling rose (didn't know this was the name! learn something new every day!).

Guessing he didn't want to remove the rose and fix it through the new plasterboard.

Can the electrican sort it out with a new rose then?

10 minutes ago, TryC said:

he overboard the ceiling and said that was the only way he could get around the ceiling rose (didn't know this was the name! learn something new every day!).

Guessing he didn't want to remove the rose and fix it through the new plasterboard.

Can the electrican sort it out with a new rose then?

The electrician can dig out and disconnect the old ceiling rose but then someone will have to patch up the hole left in the plasterboard and the electrician will probably grump if asked to go that.

What SHOULD have happened is the electrician came first, removed the ceiling rose and left safely isolated wires for the boarder to drop down through a hole in the new plasterboard and then skimmed.

I would NOT be recommending that plasterer to anyone else.  HE should have pointed out this was going to happen and not proceeded until the old rose was removed.

Your only easy solution now is a light fitting with a much larger part on the ceiling.

25 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The electrician can dig out and disconnect the old ceiling rose but then someone will have to patch up the hole left in the plasterboard and the electrician will probably grump if asked to go that.

What SHOULD have happened is the electrician came first, removed the ceiling rose and left safely isolated wires for the boarder to drop down through a hole in the new plasterboard and then skimmed.

I would NOT be recommending that plasterer to anyone else.  HE should have pointed out this was going to happen and not proceeded until the old rose was removed.

Your only easy solution now is a light fitting with a much larger part on the ceiling.

i see!

thanks for your advice. I will get onto an electrician tomorrow!

About the plasterer - least this one didn't dot dab my ceiling this time ha ha!

Edited by TryC