Metfloor, Comflor or similar?

freshy

9 hours ago, freshy said:

Has anyone used Metfloor, Comflor or similar on their intermediate floor? Any considerations or tips? How did you suspend the ceiling below?

Not me but we saw a lot of different systems used in Belgium when we lived there. One I remember used thin concrete beams about 30mm deep with rebar pyramids sticking out of the top. These were laid side by side touching each other like the metal sheets of Metfloor. Then mesh was laid on top and concrete poured to complete the slab. Their big self buildshow called Batibouw had companies selling systems which I think were intended to be erected by hand without a crane.

We ended up using beam & block for our first floor. The beam company provided metal clips for attaching battens to the underside of the beams. Plasterboard was fixed to the battens. This gives a void deep enough for wires in any direction but waste pipes can only be run parallel with the beams. If you need to run pipes the other direction you need to drop the plasterboard lower somehow. Wouldn't be hard. 

On top we have insulation and screed with UFH. We love the solid feel a concrete floor gives the house. Never had to yell at my kids to stop jumping about upstairs. 

• Like 1

Looked in to it but discounted as cost comes in above precast slabs. Also, spans aren't nearly as good as precast (precast use tensioned cables) Precast slabs are installed in less than a day, you just need to get them measured up and ordered in good time.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, freshy said:

I have an integral garage, hence would like a solid floor above. Block and beam on the first floor seems overkill compared to a metal deck with a thin screed, or maybe it just me.

I've used these a fair bit in commercial settings, if your not in a steel frame building and could use precast or similar then I don't see any benefits, and it won't be that much thinner either plus if your spans are any size deflection underneath can be 30 to 50mm