putting glass in an existing internal door

TryC

Hi All, 

I'm looking for some advice. We have a door that is due to be removed and we would like to re-use this door in its new location (so all our doors are still matching with the same wood). Although, it is probably easier to purchase a new door than trying to upcyle the one we have. Please excuse the look of it - this is the aftermath of removing the paint off of it, still needs a little tidy.

Does anyone know if it is possible to add glass in this type of door - I have seen youtube videos of doors having glass put in them, but they are not panled like the ones we have.

Why do it want to keep this door - because it is very good wood, probably better than the type you buy from the likes of b&q (it is original, old wood that came with house), and if i do replace the door with a new one, it would not match the rest of the doors in the house!

Thanks.

Screenshot_20220227-105210_Gallery.jpg

Just about Anything is possible. Are you looking to add a small viewing panel or taking out the whole center?

a solid door generally relies on the infill for resistance to racking, adding glazing requires some thought or the opposite stile to the hinges can/will drop

3 minutes ago, markc said:

Just about Anything is possible. Are you looking to add a small viewing panel or taking out the whole center?

a solid door generally relies on the infill for resistance to racking, adding glazing requires some thought or the opposite stile to the hinges can/will drop

ideally, i would like the top part to be glass :) for viewing

Just now, TryC said:

ideally, i would like the top part to be glass :) for viewing

would you know what type of trade can do this? getting a joiner is like a 14 month wait or is there a cmpany that i can use, i just don't know what the proper search terms would be

Ok but hinges would need to be changed here and would need to see the other side of the door. Are you planning on repainting once it’s done ..?

You could find a local joinery shop or window manufacturer but I doubt there will be change from £150-200. 

35 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Looks like a ledge & plank/ledge & braced door which means this would have to be reconfigure to retain the structural intengrity of the door, but definitely doable.  Here's one example: https://authentic-reclamation.co.uk/stock-item/ledge-braced-door-with-glass-panels/

thanks @SimonD, yes! wow, i really love this forum, so many new thing I learn! a plank/ledge braced door - here is a pic of the door in question

Screenshot_20220227-134709_Gallery.jpg

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

There is no bracing on that door, surprising it has not dropped yet.

You could fit a glass pane in the top half and then add a brace to the bottom half.

would the brace be the diagonal piece?

These are the original doors, I am surprised that without the diagonal piece would 'drop' the door.

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

There is no bracing on that door, surprising it has not dropped yet.

You could fit a glass pane in the top half and then add a brace to the bottom half.

+ 1

1 minute ago, TryC said:

would the brace be the diagonal piece?

These are the original doors, I am surprised that without the diagonal piece would 'drop' the door.

Yes, the brace is diagonal. The dropping depends on how well the ledges have been fitted together with the quality of the wood as the door structure puts a shear load on the nails/screws, but there is also some friction between the ledge and planks, but not very much. Ideally you want the hinges fitted on the ledge too.

Overall, I don't think it's a particularly complicated job to cut a rectangle, insert a frame, insert a pane of glass and bead on both sides, plus fit the lower brace.