hiding wire - advice please

TryC

Hi All,

All the walls have now been skimmed and the ceiling boarded and skimmed. Now we have a telephone line that used to sit on the picture rails and was hidden, but since we had the picture rails removed, we have the telephone line just dangling above the door way - apparently, we cannot cut it, even though it is not in use - but the wire is not long enough to go up and follow the lines into the corners of where the wall and ceiling meet.

Any ideas on how to make this wire less of an eye sore please?

Screenshot_20220227-104200_Gallery.jpg

I am not understanding the picture, is that hanging down across the floor?  Perhaps a wider shot would make it clearer.

If the line is "not in use" where is it going from and too and why can't you remove it?

P.S should have chased it into the wall before skimming.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am not understanding the picture, is that hanging down across the floor?  Perhaps a wider shot would make it clearer.

If the line is "not in use" where is it going from and too and why can't you remove it?

P.S should have chased it into the wall before skimming.

Hi @ProDave,

Is the below clearer? It is a BT line, so technically, it does not belong to us and we cannot remove it?

Had it been skimmed into the wall, wouldn't it of left a bump in there? 

Screenshot_20220227-110535_Gallery.jpg

10 minutes ago, TryC said:

It is a BT line, so technically, it does not belong to us and we cannot remove it?

So you don’t have a phone line ..?? Or is this an internal extension ..?? I would be removing it … nothing past the master box “belongs” to BT and this looks like an extension cable. 

Just now, PeterW said:

So you don’t have a phone line ..?? Or is this an internal extension ..?? I would be removing it … nothing past the master box “belongs” to BT and this looks like an extension cable. 

we use virgin cable for now, but who is to say we won't go back to BT in the future, the little bt box is still there.

14 minutes ago, TryC said:

we use virgin cable for now, but who is to say we won't go back to BT in the future, the little bt box is still there.

Where ..?? Is there a master box somewhere and where does the line come into the house ..? 

I would trace it, find out which end id the "feed" then cut it back at that end and put a standard surface mount BT master socket on it, so it is available for future use.

Unless tracing it leads you back to an existing master socket in which case this is an extension and can be totally removed.

It would be very unusual to find the live incoming cable snaking around a house like that before it even gets to the master socket.