Hello there.

cephalopod23

Hello there, my wife and I are exploring the idea of building our own house. We have spent a year looking for a house to buy, but there is sod all on the market that is both a) affordable and b) in the right location. I watched a few episodes of Grand Designs and thought - Thats what I should be doing! Problem is, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, how to do it or even how to start. We are looking for a plot somewhere in Oxfordshire around the Wallingford/Watlington area, and would want to build some sort of eco-efficient kit house. Size wise - three bed would be ideal, preferbaly with a garage. Garden is not that importnat, alothough some outdoor area for summer barbies would be nice. 

Any and all help, suggestions, advice, informarion, tips and dos and don'ts gratefully received.

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

In your area it will be all about budget. 

Look for old cottages or bungalows that would need complete modernisation, then don’t bother and knock it down. 

Or look at graven hill, if that’s your taste. 

Oh yeah Graven Hill. Seems expensive though.

There are smaller custom build sites that are cheaper which are a lot easier than finding a plot for yourself. The nearest one I know is Swindon, maybe that’s too far, but try a search for custom build.

Edited by CharlieKLP
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cephalopod23 said:

We are looking for a plot somewhere in Oxfordshire around the Wallingford/Watlington area, and would want to build some sort of eco-efficient kit house. Size wise - three bed would be ideal, preferbaly with a garage. Garden is not that importnat, alothough some outdoor area for summer barbies would be nice. 

Hi and welcome.

I know that area well having lived there for 16 years.  Building plots there are simply rare.  In the time I was there the only ones i ever saw were knock down and rebuilds and the prices they went for were way above my means.  It wasn't until we decided to move a long way north that I finally realised the self build dream (just completed No 2)

Don't let that put you off, but you face an uphill battle finding a plot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cephalopod23 said:

Hello there, my wife and I are exploring the idea of building our own house. We have spent a year looking for a house to buy, but there is sod all on the market

Plus one to the above.

There are few nautical folk on BH. A lecturer of mine used to use this term when he was teaching us about how to find a solution that initially seems very complex and unachievable. You point your boat to a position you know you can get to, then when there, complete the last leg. He actually explained how this was a good commercial approach at times as if we wanted to get a job we needed to know that money does not grow on trees.

If self building is at the top of your list then can you move / rent in your preferred area? Keep you ears to the ground and mix locally. Maybe try and cut you teeth on a small renovation, make some builders contacts, you may find something falls into your lap... that is my attempt at aiming off.

All the best and keep posting.

4 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Look for old cottages or bungalows that would need complete modernisation, then don’t bother and knock it down. 

Yes if by some chance the price suits.

Professional builders don't want to modernise or take on risks. So they will be interested in the start again sites.

Non-professionals usually don't see potential and want a good quality building with just some minor refurb required, or a new p;ot.

I think many of us on this site are in the middle, as there are affordable old buildings which the above don't want, , but the aggro and risk and timescale have to be accepted.