Solid Oak Front Pivot Door

Gerhardt

Can anyone recommend a supplier/carpenter that you have used before to produce/supply a solid oak front pivot door. I have obtained a quote from one company that seems to pop up everywhere on the internet but is about 10k for a door fitting a structural opening of 1200 by 2100. ?

37 minutes ago, Gerhardt said:

.... is about 10k for a door fitting a structural opening of 1200 by 2100. ?

You're asking for a bespoke door. You'll need to network for a decent local woodworker who has a proper woodworking shop - not a local chippy. Networking takes time.

Ask a proper old fashioned timber supplier for suggestions: you know the sort of timber supplier - proper old fashioned -  doesn't have a website,  phone is only ever answered at 7:30 in the morning, and when you eventually get there, nobody is on site (yes there is, but are completely covered in wood dust: perfectly camouflaged). They'll know who should make you a good door - because the woodworker in mind uses that timber supplier for the raw material. 

Locally for us its T K Knipe. Impossible to find unless you know. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:
21 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

You're asking for a bespoke door. You'll need to network for a decent local woodworker who has a proper woodworking shop - not a local chippy. Networking takes time.

Ask a proper old fashioned timber supplier for suggestions: you know the sort of timber supplier - proper old fashioned -  doesn't have a website,  phone is only ever answered at 7:30 in the morning, and when you eventually get there, nobody is on site (yes there is, but are completely covered in wood dust: perfectly camouflaged). They'll know who should make you a good door - because the woodworker in mind uses that timber supplier for the raw material. 

Locally for us its T K Knipe. Impossible to find unless you know. 

This is exactly the type of person I like to deal with, a true craftsmen. The builder I have used for the last 10 years has never spent a penny on advertising, doesn't have a website and is untraceable on the net but has never been without a project!

In my opinion, there isnt any reason why any quality joinery would be known to small time timber merchants only. Larger suppliers (like James Latham for example) that provide materials to all sorts of businesses will likely equally know people you could contact for such jobs. 

A morning or afternoon  making some calls will soon enough yield results as to where to try, and from there, a chat and visit will probably give you some insight as to who you feel happy to work with for the job in question.

As a note on the cost, if I was quoted £10k for a door as you describe, I'd not be working with that joinery. No sir.