Heatrae Sadia Megaflo 300L Unvented indirect solar cylinder

Jenki

Hi..I've got the chance of picking up a cheap second hand Heatrae Sadia Megaflo 300L   Unvented indirect solar cylinder model cl300 solar.

Would it be possible to use this with an ashp for DHW only (heating not required.)IMG_20220222_232752.thumb.jpg.bc3ffcb49c0e1500fef8ed75ff03b0c6.jpg?

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting this thread, as I'm getting closer to installing.

The Cylinder I have as above CL300 Solar. I notice that one of the elements seems to have discolouration (heat), and the cylinder has been outside.  So my thought was to bypass the cylinder elements and use Willis heaters, as this will make moving to an ASHP later an easier job (if required).  I'm also thinking that I may use a 12V DC immersion powered from a "renewable source"** as a dump load. 

The diagram below gives my thoughts on pipe layout.

Electrically it will be a timer, that will switch on the element and pump, using the tank stat. 

Would appreciate any thoughts / suggestions for this solution.  This is for DHW only, 

Q: with this set up, does the pumped heater loop need a PRV? 

CabinDHW.thumb.jpg.789daaa709211eb41a1b59bd87597d98.jpg

** possibly a cheap Wind turbine - but don't want to mention / discuss that for fear of flagellation.

On 22/02/2022 at 23:43, PeterW said:

Yes but you need to pipe it carefully - you may want to run both coils in series and watch how you wire the controls. 

@PeterW. Any comments to assist on the above? TIA.

Do you need to go through the could at all, with a Willis heater, could direct heat the water?  I believe that was the original design intent.  Ask it then heats top down, so you can a part hot tank or a fully hot one.

Edited by JohnMo
Extra details

If the tank has an immersion I would just use that - leave the coils capped but the top cap just drill a small hole in the cap to allow expansion. That allows you to go back to adding ASHP in the future. 

The dual Willis circuit is overkill but yes, would require a PRV and also an overheat stat on each Willis. 

• Thanks 1