Adsibob

Towards the end of last year I paid a very hefty 5 figure sum as a deposit for quite a lot of joinery that we are having done in our house. The joiner I contracted with said he needed the deposit to buy the redwood and walnut that he was going to use for our house.  About 3 weeks later the joiner apparently had an accident that resulted in him having to have surgery on his arm, which then got infected resulting in amputation. 
His brother took over his business (even though he is not a joiner) and I have been liaising  with him since. Because I’m too nice, since I found out about the accident, I’ve been patient and understanding on the basis that it is not a one man band, but actually a workshop of several joiners and at this late stage in the build I didn’t think I had many options to find another joinery given it had been so difficult to find one in the first place. I thought the decent thing to do was give the family a chance to get back on their feet. I also thought that at least this joinery had used my deposit to buy the wood, thereby locking in the material price before further inflation.

One month on from the accident, I’m starting to lose patience. They have stood me up 4 times, agreeing to attend my house to “take final measurements” and then never showing. 
I will probably have to sue the guy to get my deposit back, but just wondering how I make my house liveable in, in the meantime.

With DIY Kitchens carcasses (which is what I have) is it fairly straightforward to install temporary doors and drawer fronts, with something very cheap, and then swap those out for the bespoke ones we are having made in the future? Or do they have to be glued to the carcass meaning carcass would probably get damaged when subsequently unglued?

3 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

ust wondering how I make my house liveable in, in the meantime.

Whats is it you need yo be liveable? Just kitchen unit fronts? 

Go and see them and have a meeting and then understand what the issues are with the business. Its likely in disarray but doesn't mean you won't get what you asked for (eventually) or otherwise you are perfectly entitled to ask for a full refund currently. 

53 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

I use homestyle, any style, any size, any hinge hole positions, fast service economic - can talk if it would help 

Looks interesting. But in terms of my question, can I put doors and drawer fronts on temporarily and then swap them out in a few years? Or will that damage the carcasses?

No problem fitting and changing drawer fronts and doors.

as above, call or go see them, has the timber being purchased? If not, why not? Etc.

don’t waste money on the legal system unless it becomes absolutely necessary.

On 20/02/2022 at 22:53, SuperJohnG said:

Sledgehammer reaction. Needless spending of money. 

Simples pick up the phone have a direct chat. 

So I had a chat, and it’s really very tricky to know who to believe. The guy I have a contract with (let’s call him Vlad) tried to subcontract the work to someone else (let’s call him Boris). Boris came to my house did a survey, talked the talk, then contacted me a couple of days later to say that Vlad was about to go bankrupt and I should cut my losses and enter into a new contract with Boris directly. I spoke to Vlad and he tells me Boris is a liar and is trying to steal clients from him. It really is a right old mess I’m in…

7 hours ago, Adsibob said:

So I had a chat, and it’s really very tricky to know who to believe. The guy I have a contract with (let’s call him Vlad) tried to subcontract the work to someone else (let’s call him Boris). Boris came to my house did a survey, talked the talk, then contacted me a couple of days later to say that Vlad was about to go bankrupt and I should cut my losses and enter into a new contract with Boris directly. 

Ask for a refund with Vlad immediately. Also ask Vlad if he paid any money to Boris if he subcontracted it? Worst case you chase Boris to complete order of Vlad goes bust. 

I'd call citizens advice too and get a standard letter to keep you right on the process. It's a very substantial amount of money. 

13 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I take it you did not pay the hundred quid with a credit card.

No, they didn’t take credit card. My contract is with an individual that was recommended to me by someone who had worked with him before. I did a land registry search to check the person owned the property that appears on their ID (which I asked for before sending the money) and they do, so there is scope for taking legal action if necessary and enforcing against the property. But I can’t sue yet as technically there hasn’t been breach of contract yet. Just a big fat likelihood of a breach. Hate this.

7 hours ago, Adsibob said:

But I can’t sue yet as technically there hasn’t been breach of contract yet. Just a big fat likelihood of a breach. Hate this.

When does it actually become a breach of contract?  What is the criteria?

I did some work for a couple of barristers and they had a builder let them down.  I commented that at least they knew how to proceed.  There reply was 'we also know the limitations of the law'.

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

When does it actually become a breach of contract?  What is the criteria?

I did some work for a couple of barristers and they had a builder let them down.  I commented that at least they knew how to proceed.  There reply was 'we also know the limitations of the law'.

Indeed! The contract requires a survey to be done and the goods to be delivered on site by a date in late March and then installed and complete by the end of March. They haven't breached those obligations yet...

On 22/02/2022 at 00:03, Adsibob said:

So I had a chat, and it’s really very tricky to know who to believe. The guy I have a contract with (let’s call him Vlad) tried to subcontract the work to someone else (let’s call him Boris). Boris came to my house did a survey, talked the talk, then contacted me a couple of days later to say that Vlad was about to go bankrupt and I should cut my losses and enter into a new contract with Boris directly. I spoke to Vlad and he tells me Boris is a liar and is trying to steal clients from him. It really is a right old mess I’m in…

I am confused, how many arms do Boris and Vlad have?

They may not be in breach but this is causing you stress you don’t need, tell him/them your concerns, be fair and you appreciate as yet they have done nothing wrong, but you are concerned and they haven’t done anything to reassure you and you would like your money back (assuming they haven’t bought materials) or you want the goods (with invoice from their supplier) and you will pay them costs plus 10%.

40 minutes ago, markc said:

They may not be in breach but this is causing you stress you don’t need, tell him/them your concerns, be fair and you appreciate as yet they have done nothing wrong, but you are concerned and they haven’t done anything to reassure you and you would like your money back (assuming they haven’t bought materials) or you want the goods (with invoice from their supplier) and you will pay them costs plus 10%.

I watched a video showing how the small claims mediation process works. The case in question involved a householder who sacked a builder 2/3 of the way through a job because she decided the builder would not finish on schedule and then she only offered to pay 1/3 of the total quoted job. She was not successful.