Lurker and learner

woody2shoes

Hi everyone

Just found the forum in the past week, looks like a wealth of knowledge and experience on here, so looking to learn more!

I have renovated a few houses over the years but now have permission for a new commercial building which opens up so many questions, ICF, Sips or brick and block and how to heat/ventilate. A fair size two storey building at around 300 square meters, although its commercial the design is very traditional looking with brick and lime mortar, timber clad sections and a slate roof to look barn like. 

I like the idea of ICF but my biggest concern is the method and cost of brick slips as opposed to just a more traditional brick and block build, if the traditional build can reach similar U values it might be much easier to find the trades to do the build and workout cheaper but I keep hearing fabric first!

Any experience and advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in anticipation.

6 minutes ago, woody2shoes said:

I like the idea of ICF but my biggest concern is the method and cost of brick slips as opposed to just a more traditional brick and block build, if the traditional build can reach similar U values it might be much easier to find the trades to do the build and workout cheaper but I keep hearing fabric first!

ICF is relatively easy, a bit like big Lego filled with steel re-bar and concrete. Used it in my basement. No need to use brick lips, just use bricks to form the outside skin.

The search bar is a very useful tool here, as are the self build blogs.

• Thanks 1

Welcome welcome. 

Block build here. It was the cheapest but airtightness and detailing very tricky re thermal bridging. These are vital. 

A developer near us just competed a dozen houses using Kore insulated raft and I think amvic ICF. These guys aren't picking a build method for fun. 

Airtightness + bridging should be top knotch. Bricks over ICF should work fine althought I'm not 100% sure how you'd tie the facing bricks to the structure. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

I'm not 100% sure how you'd tie the facing bricks to the structure. 

we used the stainless straps and nails as used for timber frame. Had to get the long ones and cut them down. Each strap made two. Needed three holes for the motar in the cut bit and one nail hole in the off cut but my time was free and it saved about 500 straps. Knock the nail into the ICF at a downward angle and they hold very well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If there is a fork truck in the building, then block.

If an office, then look at timber frame and cellulose insulation as the sound deadening is impressive.

Thanks, a bit of mixed use, one area with forklift access for storage and the rest of the building for office use.