Plumbers rates

SimonD

13 hours ago, nod said:

Most trades here (NW) are looking £200-300 per day I would get get a price rather than an hourly rate Every job can be priced 

That is still a statement I don't entirely agree with.  Probably more so on a new build when you can assume (dangerous word) that you have decent unhindered access to everywhere you need and you are not going to turn up to do some wiring and find they have started boarding before you are finished etc.

Most of my work is on existing houses and you simply do not know until you start trying to peel back carpets and lift floorboards what you will find, so I am afraid if someone wants a fixed price for that, it will be an expensive price, because I have to assume that every difficulty WILL be present and the job is going to be difficult.  And I hate fixed price work like that so much I don't care if I don't get the job.

17 minutes ago, nod said:

200 isn’t a lot for someone who gets no holiday pay or sick pay 

Has to run there own van and buy tools 

On top of this plumbers and electricians have the certificates to renew 

How does it compare to someone on minimum wage doing the same job?

People working in catering have to, generally, pay for their certification to even get an interview, and supply own clothes/wash uniforms.

Oh, and they don't often get more than a few hours work a week.

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

People working in catering have to, generally, pay for their certification to even get an interview, and supply own clothes/wash uniforms.

It doesn’t someone on minimum wage hasn’t trained for four years and done four years of night school On less than minimum wage That's probably why they are on minimum wage 

• Like 1

I've had to book a plumber on £275/day, so I can't give him the other work he would like, such as the kitchen fitting and tiling. He was the only plumber who could/would help solve my conversion problems so I've accepted paying more than I would like, as I know he has spent time researching/thinking about things for me. 

52 minutes ago, nod said:

It doesn’t someone on minimum wage hasn’t trained for four years and done four years of night school On less than minimum wage That's probably why they are on minimum wage 

Last summer, we employed a number of degree level people. Some will move on, others will stay.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Last summer, we employed a number of degree level people. Some will move on, others will stay.

You make a good point 

There’s probably loads of plumbers out there waiting for the football to come on

saying Why to I work all day for 250 and that prat gets ten times that for kicking a ball Badly ?

37 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Labourers are taking £600 a week, trades double and then some.  
Some are worth every penny, others are there keeping their heads down and taking the piss. Doesn’t take long to see who is good at their job and which ones have just bought some tools and a tool box. 

200 per day self employed isn’t enough

There are very few easy building jobs 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, nod said:

You make a good point 

There’s probably loads of plumbers out there waiting for the football to come on

saying Why to I work all day for 250 and that prat gets ten times that for kicking a ball Badly ?

"We overvalue diamonds, and undervalue fresh drinking water"

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

This is why hospitality locally is really struggling, local cafes and pubs on short hours due to staff shortages.  All I can suggest is re-train and get trade skills to access the £200-£300 per day jobs.

Lets face it Steamy, with you mathematical skills you could be on good money designing ASHP installations. I regularly see ads for good staff.

Edited by Triassic
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Lets face it Steamy, with you mathematical skills you could be on good money designing ASHP installations. I regularly see ads for good staff.

I know, just I am a bone idle (expletive deleted).

One of the reasons I do what I do is that I have a very decent work/life balance.

Friday night was a bit fraught with the unexpected power outages and half term, but within 15 minutes of closing (sold out), we were joking about it.

Some jobs/companies, when you have a really bad day, have a lingering, negative feeling on for months.  I have tried very hard to get rid of that attitude as I know that everyone is doing their best in a fast moving, and changing, environment.

And I get paid more than my mate who is a very good thermal engineer in the biogas field.

But can I do those jobs remotely when I am sitting in a cafe, or just overlooking the sea? That I would be interested in.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1