Quality of Wickes 60% off Laminate Floor?

This weekend Wickes have a whole selection of Laminate Floor Products at about 60% off - that is £25-40 per sqm down to about £10-15,,  which can then be salami-sliced by a few more percent. There are also a couple of £15 or so versions down to nearly £5 per sqm.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Flooring/Laminate-Flooring/c/1000887

eg as well as their own such as Wickes Aspiran Oak Laminate Flooring at £7.99 per sqm, they have Kronospan Valley Oak Laminate Flooring (for one example) down from £36 to £16 per sqm.

Can anyone comment on any of these. They seem to review at 4 or 5 *, but with a question mark over the durability of the click system.

Are there any particular ones which are good?

At these prices they are only slightly more or even less than an underlay plus a cheap carpet. I may need about 50 sqm :-).

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Hmmm.

Beginning to think that branded is the way to go here, even with the extra outlay.

Probably QuickStep or Pergo for me, since both use the Uniclic system.

There is a lot of online squatter advertisers using QuickStep as a keyword for their different systems.

So, it is AC4 or AC5 grade, with Uniclic.

My niece's mate worked at Wickes so used her staff discount on some click together own brand flooring for her. The "wood" layer is so thin they might have well as stuck Rizlas to the underlying MDF or whatever it is. Lifting all over the place. It'd never take a stiff broom let alone sanding to refinish!

56 minutes ago, PeterW said:

At £25/m you can get some very good engineered wood flooring that is streets ahead of laminate. At £40/m I would want it to be self laying .....

Could you give some steers, please, @PeterW ?

I am somewhat at sea in this area; I have only done this twice recently - once Uniclic laminate came free with a nearly new castoff Jessop's kitchen, and the other time the T did the final decor. 

So I never actually had to buy any !

And the advertising is worse than secondhand cars.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

My niece's mate worked at Wickes so used her staff discount on some click together own brand flooring for her. The "wood" layer is so thin they might have well as stuck Rizlas to the underlying MDF or whatever it is. Lifting all over the place. It'd never take a stiff broom let alone sanding to refinish!

Suspect that there is a difference between the £7.99 per Sqm and £47.99 per San ptoduct, even for a shed own brand.

Or was it the posh stuff?

14 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Suspect that there is a difference between the £7.99 per Sqm and £47.99 per San ptoduct, even for a shed own brand.

Or was it the posh stuff?

Knowing my niece guessing the cheapest but I'll ask :)

15 hours ago, Onoff said:

Knowing my niece guessing the cheapest but I'll ask :)

Asking around, the thing most people regret with laminate and similar flooring is not buying the expensive enough product. 

There seem eek to be the good ones then the rest, and it us more divided into two tiers on the click-fit submarket, and the division is whether it can relifted and relaid practically.

Which is why I need a good one at about 65% off normal retail price, but can be quite flexible on colour etc.

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

£20 a metre buys decent bamboo and then budget £3/m for glue and whatever your fitting costs are on top. It's virtually armour plated and looks great - ideal for a rental 

Can you link me a good click fit one, which is what I really need?

The alternative is that I buy enough spare so that I can lift and replace a portion if necessary .. over a water leak for example.

Cheers

F

Edited by Ferdinand

You don't want to be click fitting bamboo - it is better fully bonded.

There are plenty of click fit engineered wood ones though at about 15mm thick that don't sound hollow like laminate does. 

Just now, Tennentslager said:

I went today and bought 8m for my utility/WC. 15 squids a metre. 14mm stuff and looks nice.

Going down in a couple of weeks.

Thanks @Ferdinand.

That'll be four weeks from bedroom to utility and WC...are you listening @Onoff ???

I go where the wind takes me mate! :)

16 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

I went today and bought 8m for my utility/WC. 15 squids a metre. 14mm stuff and looks nice.

Going down in a couple of weeks.

Thanks @Ferdinand.

That'll be four weeks from bedroom to utility and WC...are you listening @Onoff ???

Glad it worked for you.

I would think @Onoff may have drink taken trying to generate enough empty cans for his solar system :S.

That would be wind as in Three Sheets To The...xD

Edited by Ferdinand

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Glad it worked for you.

I would think @Onoff may have drink taken trying to generate enough empty cans for his solar system :S.

Just for you I might have a count up of the stashed empties tomorrow. It'll be handy to be able to get in the shed again and free up some space.

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

You don't want to be click fitting bamboo - it is better fully bonded.

There are plenty of click fit engineered wood ones though at about 15mm thick that don't sound hollow like laminate does. 

I normally put double or commercial quality underlay when I *have* done laminate, going back. Back in 2000 my dad did about 750 sqft in a bungalow a bought a huge roll of hundreds of metres of the underlay that lasted years and years. 

Getting into say £20 + underlay per sqm activates a Landlord Dilemma, in that it then becomes equivalent to a decent underlay and about 3 lots of reasonable carpet :-) . Because of depreciation rules under Deposit Schemes, the value of carpets and perhaps floating floors depreciates to zero quite quickly ==> not going for top quality items as damage cannot be reclaimed. 

Food for thought.

Cheers all.

Ferdinand

• 1 year later...
On 02/05/2017 at 08:04, Ferdinand said:

I normally put double or commercial quality underlay when I *have* done laminate, going back. Back in 2000 my dad did about 750 sqft in a bungalow a bought a huge roll of hundreds of metres of the underlay that lasted years and years. 

Getting into say £20 + underlay per sqm activates a Landlord Dilemma, in that it then becomes equivalent to a decent underlay and about 3 lots of reasonable carpet :-) . Because of depreciation rules under Deposit Schemes, the value of carpets and perhaps floating floors depreciates to zero quite quickly ==> not going for top quality items as damage cannot be reclaimed. 

Food for thought.

I would disagree to a point. Some of the water-resistant laminate flooring and thicker laminates tend to not deteriorate quite so easily and are also simple to pick up and lay again without damage. Some online wood flooring stores have filters where you can filter laminate flooring by thickness.  If you intend to re-install a laminate I would choose a better quality one at least 10mm thick. If not, and it's only for a few years, stick with 6-8mm  to save on price as some of them look fantastic.

Edited by jack
Removed link to commercial site