Solis Inverter: getting some data out of it - well trying to ...

ToughButterCup

We have a Solis 1P3K - 4G fitted to a MyEnergi  Diverter which shunts power via an EDDI to our a SunAmp (13Kw)

Both Solis and MyEnergi say they have apps which document how much PV is being created and where its going to. And both the apps are installed on my phone. 

Both apps are a complete waste of disk space. They either don't work (SOLIS) or were designed by drunk  first year undergraduate coders to whom the notion of usability has yet to be introduced (EDDI)

But a comment by @MikeGrahamT21 gives me hope - well a bit of hope

... Went for a Solis AC Coupled 5th Generation Inverter, the graphs it produces are really informative....

I would love access to that data if possible. We are connected to the inverter via WiFi

I've been all over the Internet, YT, discussion groups (MyEnergi's discussion group is like a desert with wind in it) tried to make the apps work.

And now, more in hope than expectation, I'm asking if someone here can point me to an authoritative online resource.

All I would like to know is exactly, for any given period,  how much solar PV energy we produce and how much of that total is being consumed by our SunAmp? 

I don't need bells, I don't need whistles, sexy graphics are often distracting waste of time:  just simple numbers or maybe even a graph or two would be lovely.

I have a sunny Boy inverter.  It is supposed to have an app that accesses data via blue tooth, but in spite of trying several blue tooth adaptors for my PC I just could never get it to connect for more than a few seconds at a time. So about as much success as you.

My home made PV diverter simply logs the "on" time of the immersion heater (it is pulsed on or off) and by simple maths tells me the total kWh sent to the immersion heater.  It doesn't do fancy graphs though no doubt if I wanted to put in more effort I could log the on time in a better way rather than just a total.

I did wonder is a simple electricity meter in series with the immersion heater might work but it probably would not like the pulsed nature of the power sent to the immersion.  Perhaps an old school spinning disc one might work?

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I have a sunny Boy inverter.  It is supposed to have an app that accesses data via blue tooth, but in spite of trying several blue tooth adaptors for my PC I just could never get it to connect for more than a few seconds at a time. So about as much success as you.

My home made PV diverter simply logs the "on" time of the immersion heater (it is pulsed on or off) and by simple maths tells me the total kWh sent to the immersion heater.  It doesn't do fancy graphs though no doubt if I wanted to put in more effort I could log the on time in a better way rather than just a total.

I did wonder is a simple electricity meter in series with the immersion heater might work but it probably would not like the pulsed nature of the power sent to the immersion.  Perhaps an old school spinning disc one might work?

I have a SunnyBoy also, SB4000, haven't had any issues connecting via bluetooth from my laptop. Have you updated the firmware on it? You can do it with an SD card.

Also, connect it up to the LAN (if you have a WebConnect module), and use SunnyPortal

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

I have several SunnyBoy inverters and all use bluetooth communication to Raspberry Pi Zeros running SBFspot to upload PV data to PVoutput. Once setup there are no issues.

But I actually use a couple of Iotawatts (https://iotawatt.com/) to measure output for local logging. Stick one current transformer on the Inverter output and one on the Sunamp input and Bob's your uncle. (And there are 12 other inputs for logging other feeds.)

• 3 weeks later...