Non-potable water supply during build

We have had conversations about private water supplies, particularly with respect to boreholes - and the right to draw 20,000 l per day without regulation. I believe that these are not usually caught in hosepipe bans etc.

Can anyone point me to the regulations around drawing water from small watercourses and springs. Is there a limit there and are they caught in bans?

It is not an immediate question for me, but I am interested whether such a source could be used for watering gardens etc, or using during construction.

Ferdinand

Short answer is no and no, you only need an abstraction licence for larger than the limit you have stated however.......

A hosepipe ban is a ban on using a hosepipe for watering - even if you have your own supply / borehole you have to prove that you are not using the public main. Bizarre I know ..!

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Short answer is no and no, you only need an abstraction licence for larger than the limit you have stated however.......

A hosepipe ban is a ban on using a hosepipe for watering - even if you have your own supply / borehole you have to prove that you are not using the public main. Bizarre I know ..!

So if the bloke with the bowler hat and the clipboard comes and walks your hose back to its source at pump which connects to the tank under your drive or your well, he will go away happy, even though the neighbours may have had a fit of outrage previously.

Cool.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I don't think it's that simple.

"

Section 76 of the Water Industry Act 1991 (temporary hosepipe bans) (Flood and Water Management Act 2010)

76     Temporary bans on use

(1)     A water undertaker may prohibit one or more specified uses of water supplied by it if it thinks that it is experiencing, or may experience, a serious shortage of water for distribution."

So the ban is on using a hosepipe supplied with water from a "water undertaker" who set the rules, not water from a private supply. There was a mini boom in borehole drilling in the wealthy SE during the last water shortage. No doubt if there is another water shortage and another borehole boom the PTB will think about extending control to private supplies as they will hasten the depletion of aquifers if there enough of them

I agree - it's  just you have to prove it's not from the "water undertaker" as you say. If you have a private borehole and a mains supply I think it's then when it gets difficult - same as with a rainwater tank.