In-Roof or On-Roof Solar Panels

J1mbo

2 hours ago, J1mbo said:

Sorry this is for retrofit. 1970s house with a standard trussed roof.

Unless you have flat concrete tiles or slates you’re stuck with on roof anyways. If you have either then you may want to make the installation look ‘tres bien’ by integrating in roof, but you’ll then have the cost of the roofer doing all the cuts plus the iffy job of getting the flashing to adhere to the weathered tiles / slates. 
Cost effective route is to go on roof, just don’t forget the edge protectors to stop birds nesting under them. 

9 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Unless you have flat concrete tiles or slates you’re stuck with on roof anyways. If you have either then you may want to make the installation look ‘tres bien’ by integrating in roof, but you’ll then have the cost of the roofer doing all the cuts plus the iffy job of getting the flashing to adhere to the weathered tiles / slates. 
Cost effective route is to go on roof, just don’t forget the edge protectors to stop birds nesting under them. 

Thanks, yes they are flat concrete tiles. There will be so few left, they could easily be laid new and certainly around the flashing areas.

Re edge protectors. I've seen these on several installations recently. They look to be solid so would eliminate the underside cooling and hence reduce output? Although they do improve the look of the installation somewhat.

Interesting. I'm considering more solar on our roof with marley ridged concrete tiles. The bituminous felt underneath is a bit knackered where it meets the chimneys, so was gearing up for a full roof off and re-felt job with in-roof panels. ?

Hopefully make it a warm roof at the same time...

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Yes I.e if it’s removed you are still water tight 

Why would it be removed and not replaced?

£10 Sheet of polycarbonate would sort the problem if waiting for a replacement after a completely devastating failure though they tend to stay intact after shattering)

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Why would it be removed and not replaced?

£10 Sheet of polycarbonate would sort the problem if waiting for a replacement after a completely devastating failure though they tend to stay intact after shattering)

No idea - but it’s a possibility !

Was wondering about this. With in-roof, I would imagine you effectively have "trays" for standard panels, no? Or is it a totally different system?

My sun-facing roof section has windows in it, I somewhat worry that trying to fit panels on it would leave lots of spaces, but I imagine in-roof would, if anything, be worse?

649750473_ScreenShot2022-02-15at13_43_41.thumb.jpg.b6fa7cb6388f0dc808ce8d8f74486397.jpg

15 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Was wondering about this

If it is not built yet, get rid of the hips, get more on then.

But basically yes, standard trays around the windows.  I think Velux actually do a PV system.

Edited by SteamyTea

2 hours ago, puntloos said:

Was wondering about this. With in-roof, I would imagine you effectively have "trays" for standard panels, no? Or is it a totally different system?

My sun-facing roof section has windows in it, I somewhat worry that trying to fit panels on it would leave lots of spaces, but I imagine in-roof would, if anything, be worse?

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69c649750473_ScreenShot2022-02-15at13_43_41.thumb.jpg.b6fa7cb6388f0dc808ce8d8f74486397.jpg

95C8B041-B3DC-41F6-AFE7-82478C962A5E.thumb.jpeg.22f06bdd42e80c026b8efe6886531f74.jpeg

D41D7442-5E62-4D2E-BD82-BA8941639D9C.jpeg

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, J1mbo said:

Yes that’s definitely the way to go. As it’s over the battens it doesn’t seem like such a big deal to me. Though I might need to re-felt which will make it a bigger job obviously.

yeah. definitely easier on a new build rather than renovation. but if you're having the roof re-tiled then it makes it easier (and potentially cheaper on not having to use tiles under the panels).

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, DragsterDriver said:

Very nice! Which brand/supplier?

GSE trays and the panels are LG 375W Mono NeonH Black E6. 

the supplier is a little bit of a sore point as we used Enhabit for our M&E design and they supplied the components for our Solar PV, MVHR and ASHP/DHW. But they have recently been bought out by/merged with Green Building Store and no longer offer ASHP or Solar PV so I have been left with incomplete installations. But that's life I guess and I can find someone else to finish the job.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

GSE trays and the panels are LG 375W Mono NeonH Black E6. 

the supplier is a little bit of a sore point as we used Enhabit for our M&E design and they supplied the components for our Solar PV, MVHR and ASHP/DHW. But they have recently been bought out by/merged with Green Building Store and no longer offer ASHP or Solar PV so I have been left with incomplete installations. But that's life I guess and I can find someone else to finish the job.

Bugger!

I’ve looked at plug in solar etc but I genuinely have nO idea which brands are good etc.

@Nickfromwales do you have any recommendations?

23 minutes ago, DragsterDriver said:

Bugger!

I’ve looked at plug in solar etc but I genuinely have nO idea which brands are good etc.

@Nickfromwales do you have any recommendations?

LG are at the top end of panels so they weren't cheap but they degrade slower than something like the JA Solar panels and have guaranteed performance after a certain number of years. (sorry I forget the actual figures!)

• Like 1