Help - SWMBO doesn't like it?

Adsibob

21 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

We are using decorative clay plaster. It isn't painted, just left nude after a bit of polishing with a water atomiser and a cloth. So although it's more expensive than normal plaster, it saves a lot of money in not needing any painting. It is only meant to be applied 1mm to 1.5mm thick, directly onto plasterboard. My architect thinks we could plaster over the tiles but we would still get see the outline of each tile and the shape of the tile's surface (which is not smooth at all as these are unglazed zellige which are all wonky; each one is completely different to the other in terms of shape and overall dimension - part of their "rustic" charm).

We do quite a bit of clay works and 

Venetian 

The surface needs to be perfect before applying the primer 

We normally tape and joint PB

Or skim prior to priming 

I take the tiles off and make good 

B43AD24D-E01C-4F5D-9E06-11A1D962CB1B.jpeg

Edited by nod

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

In the render there is no tile above the sliding doors (that triangle shaped gable bit of wall). That is decorative plaster as is the sloped ceiling either side of the skylight.

In reality we took the tile up to the skylight on that wall. So quite dramatically different I guess. It's a rustic clay tile made in morocco and has come out a little more rustic than we were expecting, so she is annoyed there is more of it than we had originally planned.

Right, that level of change to me is weeeeeeeell outside the scope of the architect and is in the realms of "interior decoration" that you choose once the building is up and you get a real feeling for the space and how you want to dress it.

That would never register for me as a major change and just assumed that is what you both chose to do with the space.  Clearly it is what YOU chose to do with the space without discussion?

• Like 1

I prefer the render version….. the rustic look is very different and I can see why it’s causing conflict. Personally I would cut your losses and remove and redo it and agree never to talk about it again…… 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Right, that level of change to me is weeeeeeeell outside the scope of the architect and is in the realms of "interior decoration" that you choose once the building is up and you get a real feeling for the space and how you want to dress it.

well to achieve this kind of interior you really need to design (and build) it in at the outset. E.g. as @nod commented above, the substrate for decorative plaster has to be perfect. To give you some other examples, we have a lot of curved walls and the bulk head in the ceiling between the original house and the extended part (which conceals the RSJ) is also curved. To achieve those curves one needs to build out frames before plaster boarding, so there is a lot of “interior” design which is rooted in the fabric of the building. Another example is floor finishes. If you want different floor finishes in different rooms, but you want them to be flush at their junction, you need to plan ahead with the screed pour so that it is poured to slightly different heights either side of the junction. The list is endless. 

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That would never register for me as a major change and just assumed that is what you both chose to do with the space.  Clearly it is what YOU chose to do with the space without discussion?

Yes, I just assumed she would be fine with it as we have the tiles on the adjacent wall, so I didn’t think it was such a drastic change. Here is a photo of that wall:

FA0C8ECB-B137-4EAF-86E9-50E4E1DA90BD.thumb.jpeg.62037331ed2ce1a94636002559d46d36.jpeg

If I ran every detail and decision by her, we’d never get the house done. Most other things I’ve decided solo she has been very happy about. But I guess this was one detail of design change that she wanted to be consulted on.

I do prefer the render version especially where the pillars are set back in the gable end and It flows better back into the ceiling.

The tiles seem to pull the room back in towards you.

Stunning when complete.

On Valentines day as well.

Get on eBay quick..

Mop Slippers.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adsibob said:

there are no curtains. Let me give some more details for context:

Version in digital render:

image.thumb.png.6ca2f69c2ae002ef324275300568d7e1.png

What we did (without consulting SWMBO):

image.thumb.png.7a092d09499d82e6a85523665c741f61.png

I've got to say I'm with SWMBO, the rendered look is better. Maybe now SWMBO will make that long overdue decision about your architect and show him the door, he does like causing you problems, doesn't he? ;)

• Like 1

I initially preferred the render version, but on closer examination it seems as if the side walls on the render version have the same tiled finish as the reality, but it doesn't look like it. IOW the render is lighter than the reality which skews the effect rather a lot. the lighting effect is very different too.

• Like 1

Tell her it's too hard/expensive/disruptive to do now, and that you'll agree to revisit 6 months after you've moved in. If she still doesn't like it then, you should agree to change it back.

I guess you're not that far off finishing, but I found our appetite for spending diminished significantly as the build went on. Perhaps she'll feel the same and won't want to spend £1500+ further down the track.

Also, why did you make a decision like this without discussing it? I wouldn't dream of making a change like this without discussing it with my missus. Nothing to do with being scared of her reply, but I genuinely want both of us to be happy with the result. Probably explains why the house is still not properly decorated 6+ years after moving in! 

• Like 1

On the other hand £1500 is not a lot compared to your budget and if it will be a subject that your forever reminded of then bite the bullet and appease her. Conversely if you really like it then argue the toss. It’s you that has to live with her, not us ?‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Grow a pair and tell her she’s wrong.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

It’s you that has to live with her,

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.....

I don't know about you lot, but I've been married 15 years now and I still get it in the neck for sh1t I did wrong well before we got married! £1500 is a cheap fix.

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

Can we take bets on this ?

I’ll put 1 zillion pounds on SWMBO winning 

I'm with you.

Edited by SimonD
  • Like 1