Permitted Development outside original property curtilage?

MAB

My brother has two areas of land outlined on his Title Deeds. One is outlined in red being the original curtilage of the property and one area approx 1/2 acre adjoining it outlined in blue which he purchased at a later date.

He wants to erect a Garden Office outbuilding under Permitted Development in the later blue outlined area and he wonders if this would be allowed under PD?

He does not want to check it out with the local planning dept yet as he does not want to bring it to their attention at this time.

The land is not overlooked and he has the full support of his distant neighbours who will not be affected in any way.

Any thoughts on what might be allowed would be appreciated.

First hurdle is what is the planning use of this half acre?  Is it agricultural?  a paddock? or does it actually have planning use as a garden?

A safer bet might be a portable building like a caravan or shepherds hut, easier to move is there are objections.

• Like 1

We had a fight with our planning permission as many of you know, during this they tried to tell me the “curtilage “ of the existing house was smaller than the residential plot (aside from the agricultural field attached). The res plot is about 1/2 acre but the council tried to tell me it was half of this. I then said I could produce evidence that family members had used the 1/2 acre plot as garden in previous years, they then backed down when I asked for their evidence. When looking into this on tinternet I found many examples of councils trying to tell owners the curtilage was smaller than they claimed.

• Like 1