Pre planning Application

Robw85

Hi all,

How long would one expect to wait for a formal letter or email from their local authority after a pre planning meeting.
We met with our officer who was very pleased with our proposal yet we haven’t had any formal reply and it’s been 9 weeks.

We’ve tried contacting them via email and phone and still nothing. 

Until I have this formal response I don’t to make an offer on the purchase..

Anyone have any ideas? 

You were very lucky to get a pre-planning meeting. I wouldn’t hold my breath for something in writing and even so, it will just be a list of standard planning things. Like Damo says, you’re probably at the bottom of the pile on this.

A pre-app is not formally binding in any way, so my advice would be to get a planning appraisal from a planning consultant instead. You can get free ones if you look around. Google “free planning appraisal”. 

Thank you for the replies. I’d like to think I’d get a written response as I’ve paid £615 for it.

• Written advice only at a fee of £274; or
  • Written advice and a meeting for a fee of £615

Even our planning consultant has been chasing them for it but to no avail. 
Guess a SE to assess the buildings might be the next step. 

thank you all for relying. 

That sounds a very long time. We had to wait 5 weeks for our pre-planning application to be dealt with, we then had a site visit, follow up zoom call and the formal report all within about 2 weeks. We were told up front the exact times of delay. You are right to wait for the formal response, after our very positive Zoom call the report came and contained a whole list of changes they wanted which had not been mentioned in the follow up meeting!

Hi Sarah,

My LPA said they don’t offer site visits even though we requested one, ended up just being a meeting at their offices. 
Which doesn’t really help matters as in person they could see the damage that is being done from neglect of the buildings. 
Looking forward to that letter if it does arrive with that list attached… probably why they are taking a long time.