Man mad or natural slate

Digger1

Trying to decide on which option to go for.  I quite like the uniform look of man made but am put off buy the visible copper rivet of hook fixing.  I don't want my build to appear that i have gone for the cheap(er) man made option.  Can you get man made slates that don't require this 3rd fixing at the bottom and just use two shoulder fixings like natural slates?

My natural (Spanish ) slates are fixed with hooks and looks great, you have to look really hard to see the hooks and broken slates won’t fall off the roof and can be replaced without awful lead/copper strips. I would always use hooks in future.

Edited by joe90

18 minutes ago, joe90 said:

My natural (Spanish ) slates are fixed with hooks and looks great, you have to look really hard to see the hooks and broken slates won’t fall off the roof and can be replaced without awful lead/copper strips. I would always use hooks in future.

18 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Plus 1

we fixed ours with nails 

But our next will probably be with hooks due to exposed area 

I think hooks look fine 

A quick snap from ground level might help clear this up Joe 

I don't know how much man made costs as I never even thought about using them but good natural slate doesn't have to break the bank! we paid around £1.30 per slate for Spanish slates from Jewsons (Mont Azul Lombeiro slates). 

personally I think they look fantastic and our roofer said they were really good to work with.

IMG_2186.jpeg.af5ee85999d98c67de52d62fb9419113.jpeg

• Like 1