MCS joke; RHI payment

I needed an EPC for my MCS installed air source heat pump.

As we all know the worse the rating the better my payment - which quite frankly is ridiculous .

Anyway he rated my new build as D.

Reasons for 'down grading it ' were ... he didn't acknowledge ( or understand maybe ) the MVHR, Tesla battery not a valid point ,  PV no mention.

More interesting ... because no obvious room thermostats rates it 2/5 ( no understanding of HA )

Hot water also only gets 2/5

To give some context. All my rentals are 1930 terraced houses with double glazing ( my build has triple ) and a gas boiler - yet they are all 'D'

So 'efficiency ' wise on paper my new build is no better than them.

Perhaps he did it to increase my RHI . I did ask him to down grade it before he began with his response being " I can only do what I see".

So , it's a complete mockery. In real terms I am probably a 'B' - the system is a joke 

Edited by pocster
  • Like 2

We had the same. Neighbours spend £1500 on heating over winter; us with our bottled LPG boiler spent £560. 

Neighbours no floor insulation, no wall insulation and 300mm fluffy! 

And No. he didn't "do it" the EPC system is S***

Edited by Marvin

Just now, Marvin said:

We had the same. Neighbours spend £1500 on heating over winter; us with our bottled LPG boiler spent £560. 

Neighbours no floor insulation, no wall insulation and 300mm fluffy! 

But ; of course I can't complain as my RHI payment will be more. But it shows what a mess of dis-functional nonsense it is.

I'm kind of happy getting a 'D' and kind of annoyed - if you know what I mean. 

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

But ; of course I can't complain as my RHI payment will be more. But it shows what a mess of dis-functional nonsense it is.

Yes we were pissed and it actually went down from the previous EPC rating. We're an F for F sake. But hay up the payments!

Assessor said main problem was Bottled gas boiler scores verrrrry low. but no mains gas here.

Edited by Marvin

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

What are you *really* ?

F me - to get an F !!

Yes

The good news is that the payments will pay for all the parts and commissioning. the rest was my labour.

FYI at present we are using about 9 kWh on all heating and partially hot water ( some via PV) a day.

F

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pocster said:

My MCS has been approved.

Not complaining at £320 per quarter for 7 years.

So that covers the cost and installation of the ASHP.

FFS I am paying for your heating.

But how many years will it take to cover the cost of your useless walk on glazing?

That makes me feel a lot better.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

FFS I am paying for your heating.

But how many years will it take to cover the cost of your useless walk on glazing?

That makes me feel a lot better.

I was always under the impression that the mcs was a bit of a waste of time I.e inflated install costs which you claim back later . My ASHP + install was around 7k - so it was FREE !

Turn your heating up a bit please ??

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

(expletive deleted) you, I am switching it off, going to bankrupt the whole of the UK's power sector on my own.

If it’s any consolation I pay the gas/lecky bills at my HMO’s . So they’ve doubled ….

On 10/02/2022 at 18:10, pocster said:

I know exactly what you meant. We spent silly amounts to get Passivhaus Enerphit plus certified, but still rocking EPC D

On the upside, 6 more weeks and RHI perverse incentives will be no more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joth said:

I know exactly what you meant. We spent silly amounts to get Passivhaus Enerphit plus certified, but still rocking EPC D

On the upside, 6 more weeks and RHI perverse incentives will be no more.

Is that the end of the scheme forever then ?

21 hours ago, pocster said:

Is that the end of the scheme forever then ?

The end for new applicants. For those already in it, it will drag on for another 7 years of paperwork to claim the ongoing payments.

56 minutes ago, joth said:

The end for new applicants. For those already in it, it will drag on for another 7 years of paperwork to claim the ongoing payments.

I couldn't work out do the payments go up/down over the 7 year period. They are index linked to something.....

One point to bear in mind, whenever a government spokesperson hails the amount of renewable heat energy being generated, he or she is referring to the notional total as derived from the kWh calculated through RHI and other like schemes.  All good you see - takes us closer to net zero, so a win all round.