Plywood walls in new build

Sara Wade

Hi

I have seen amazing designs using birch ply wall panelling but cannot match with building regs. How can this be done? I think I need C S-2 D1 for ply wall in high circulation area (landings) and I don't know how I can get ply to comply? Any thoughts, being warned off by architects but I keep seeing pics everywhere so someone must know!

Thanks

Two options. Either get fire proof ply which they usually pressure pump fire protection chemicals into or you paint it with clear fire instrument paint.  Most people go the paint option. Either option will be more expensive than plasterboard.

In one project I worked on with exposed joists and sarking boards which needed to be fire rated the QS had a great cost saving idea. My drawings showed instrument paint but they suggested fire proof sarking boards as it was cheaper than painting. I agreed as visually they were similar. Problem was the fire engineer said the joists also needed to be protected. The whole roof couldn't now be sprayed with fir instrument paint as it would void the warranty of the sarking boards so each joists had to be hand painted. It worked out more expensive. Do you're research thoroughly first before starting or committing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sara Wade said:

cannot match with building regs. How can this be done?

Our BCO has just asked for certificate of treatment using a product like Envirograf or Flametect (there are others). I will most probably be using Flametect https://www.fireproofspray.co.uk/

What you basically need to do is call the company selling the protection product, explain your plans and they will provide the right product and corresponding certificate for BC.

15 minutes ago, nod said:

If it’s the effect that you like 

Plasterboard as normal 

Fire tape Tge joints and ply over the top 

I'm not sure whether that will be ok? It was explained to us that the fire treatment is primarily to prevent flame spread which this may not do?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, nod said:

If it’s the effect that you like 

Plasterboard as normal 

Fire tape Tge joints and ply over the top 

Depends if you're trying to stop the spread of flames through the rooms which the plasterboard would fix or the surface spread of flames which it wouldn't. Generally this isn't accepted (again depending on use and location). 

4 minutes ago, bob the builder 2 said:

HI All

I am considering some exposed glulam beams.

Will these also have to be clear coated with clear fireproof coating ?

Many thanks 

If they're at large centers, eg 1200 or more, and you've plasterboard between them, then no as the fire won't jump between them and spread easily.

However if the glulam beams are holding up a floor above then it depends on the size of the beams as they have to support the upper floor level in a fire for a certain period of time if someone is stuck up there.  If the beams are oversized then it will take ages for them to burn and loose structural integrity then they could be fine and don't need clear fireproof instrument paint. Your engineer can tell you this.

2 hours ago, Dudda said:

Depends if you're trying to stop the spread of flames through the rooms which the plasterboard would fix or the surface spread of flames which it wouldn't. Generally this isn't accepted (again depending on use and location). 

I don’t think there would be any building rules to stop you doing this It’s quite common to have mdf panels throughout 

Its more about stopping the spread of fire between floor 

Only 30 minutes on some of our jobs