Kingspan Klargester BioDisc

hbooth

Hi all.

Looking to have a Kingspan Klargester BioDisc installed for our sewage treatment but was wondering if anyone has any experience of these? Specifically what happens if there is a power cut? As I understand these have discs inside them that slowly turn to treat the sewage, if these don't turn because of a power cut etc then what happens, does that mean you can't/shouldn't use the toilet etc?  Any experiences of these systems would be greatly appreciated.

My only suggestion is before you commit to this, look at the alternatives.  I have witnessed one fail twice, once due to a failed motor and once due to a seized gearbox.  On both occasions I firmly declined the job of fixing them.  Absolutely horrible job in a horrible location to fix a mechanical fault like that.

Instead take a good look at the treatment plants that work with a air blower to agitate the effluent.  About all that can go wrong is the air blower can fail, and it is well away from the smelly stuff so simple to replace or service.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

My only suggestion is before you commit to this, look at the alternatives.  I have witnessed one fail twice, once due to a failed motor and once due to a seized gearbox.  On both occasions I firmly declined the job of fixing them.  Absolutely horrible job in a horrible location to fix a mechanical fault like that.

Instead take a good look at the treatment plants that work with a air blower to agitate the effluent.  About all that can go wrong is the air blower can fail, and it is well away from the smelly stuff so simple to replace or service.

Would you know an alternative with an air blower that you would recommend?

So unless you want a £5-700 per annum service contract, I wouldn’t choose the Biodisc. They have grease cartridges on the bearings that need to be changed every 9-12 months and the motors can fail and are expensive. 

There are much better options 

1 hour ago, hbooth said:

if these don't turn because of a power cut etc then what happens, does that mean you can't/shouldn't use the toilet etc

No, that wouldn't be  a problem in the short term.

Even longer-term the tank will treat sewage without power, just not so well.

The sewage goes through usually 3 tanks. The first one separates floating and sinking stuff, then there is a maze of links between the sections and biology does its stuff. 

then when you flush 5l down the wc it goes in the mucky end and the same amount of nearly clean comes out of the other end.

The bubbles or circulation system moves it around, mixes air into it and gets it going faster.

Add Marsh Industries to your list of good manufacturers. Has a little air pump like a fish tank one so very little to go wrong.

10 hours ago, hbooth said:

Specifically what happens if there is a power cut? As I understand these have discs inside them that slowly turn to treat the sewage, these don't turn because of a power cut etc then what happens, does that mean you can't/shouldn't use the toilet etc? 

Exactly. The fewer moving parts the better.

Your question is quite common on BH. Have a quick read of relevant threads. I am sure many are perfectly happy with their bio-disc machines. I wouldn't use one.

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

if you need a pumped outlet due to gradients etc. 

I design drainage with a 'what if' condition.

What if the soakaway blocks/ water table rises/ drains are full locally etc?

For example if the street drains were running full, then your rain-water will either back up or burst through the lowest escape point. So ensure that there is an escape and that any water coming out of it runs away with least harm.

For your sewage, where does the flow go from the digester. The quantities are very much lower of course, and it will be near to clean.