Help drawings and scale

RobRS2

Hi All   I am currently trying to get local planning to accept my plans. Everything i put in they keep saying not to scale. I can't get them on the phone to find out why nor will they explain

via email. elevations have been drawn 1:100 scale on A3 size plot. Plot and location plans have been done on A4 to the required scale direct form OS downloaded A4 drawings.

I have added an example of an elevation view, A3 size at 1:100 can anyone spot what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks

RobTest 1.100.pdf

3 hours ago, nod said:

I wouldn’t put anything as approximate 

Planners will want exact measurements 

Same goes with ground levels 

21-063-P03 - Proposed Garage.pdf 73.06 kB · 8 downloads 21-063-P02 - Proposed House Type.pdf 145.38 kB · 10 downloads

Measurements have to be approximate as the original house is 1800's, so there isn't a straight wall in the house. The ground levels change all around the new extension so again approximate

3 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

If you print them yourself, how do they scale?

You could also try using an online PDF measuring programme to see if that works out right. 

2 hours ago, CharlieKLP said:

Oops sorry wrong thread.

Are you printing from CAD op? 

you need to print them to scale from there, not ‘fit to page’.

I had a 2mm difference when printed. The CAD drawings are done at 1:1. Not sure if there is an error created using the PFD pre sets i have in AutoCAD 

never work off printed or scaled plans ever. Have the plans printed by the architect withy every measurement on it. every wall, window, door, nook and cranny. 

You will then be able to correct openings to work brick so you dont end up with crap cuts everywhere something architects seem incapable off.

This issue is the very reason I got an architect (fir a reduced price) to simply put my drawings on CAD and send to the planners so they were correct (and I don’t have CAD, only pencil and paper).

16 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

You will then be able to correct openings to work brick so you dont end up with crap cuts everywhere something architects seem incapable off.

Despite accurate drawings I told my brickies to make openings to the nearest whole brick or half brick as I hate brick slivers. I had doors and windows bespokely made to fit the openings afterwards. Looks so much better(perhaps I am OCD ?‍♂️).

9 hours ago, RobRS2 said:

Not sure if there is an error created using the PFD pre sets i have in AutoCAD

That will be it, I had the same issue. Do triple check the settings for scaling when exporting - when printed from CAD itself it knows what to do, but PDF viewer (my LA uses Foxit, you can download it for free to test) will scale to the tags experted

40 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

never work off printed or scaled plans ever. Have the plans printed by the architect withy every measurement on it. every wall, window, door, nook and cranny. 

You can blame architects for many things, but this seems like the fault of bricklayers. 

Ok. This isn’t just architects or just brickies, it’s an understanding of unit sizes. 

Bricks are standard units (let’s stay metric people for ease…) so if you work standard units of 225mm/115mm horizontal and 75mm vertical then you don’t end up with fillers, cuts and partials. It’s why when you open a Jeldwen catalogue that there are standard window sizes that use these divisible units.

What happens is that due to aesthetics and client demands getting in the way, then windows become non standard and things stop working units - I’ve seen a set of 4 slit windows with 300mm brick pillars between and that just doesn’t work ! 

There is usually licence for the brickies to adjust slightly on site but it needs care and attention as sometimes you can create more problems than you solve. 

Oh no I work to brick dimensions, it just happens that when you fill mortar in real life it has a bit of difference to it depending on the bricklayer. 

It’s usually ok on the windows but it adds up. We always draw the bricks to the right size, and we always end up with cut bricks.

...it could be what Peter says also.

A lot of ye are getting this wrong. As an architect we produce different drawings for different stages. We'd produce scheme design or outline drawings. These are used to get the agreed layout and size. Planning drawings are developed from these and then later we produce construction drawings.

I've two large brick building on site currently (12 million & 8 million euro). I'd have got planning permission for them both 18 months ago. On planning drawings you show overall dimensions. Overall height, width, return wings, finished floor levels, distance to boundaries and neighboring buildings, etc. Windows and doors are default sizes such as 1000mm, 1500mm, 2000mm, etc but are never dimensioned at this stage. Remember only overall dimensions are used. During planning we work out fire and accessibility more as these have particular dimension requirements. eg with of fire corridor, doors, etc. Planning is granted and then we start detailed design. It's at this stage we then refine the dimensions. This takes a lot of time so no point doing it for planning drawings as often buildings get refused, don't secure funding, government changes and looses priority, etc. It's impossible for an architect to make money if they work out every brick dimension for planning and completely pointless. We've structural columns, movement joints, wind posts, floor buildups, ceiling voids, etc, etc. to incorporate. This is also why when people go off and try and build off planning drawings they can run into issues. When working on large housing developments of say 100+ housing units the attention to this brick dimensions and taking into account the thickness of plaster, lengths of timber, size of tiles, etc can save a contractor thousands in reducing waste and time but it takes the architect or their technician considerable time to calculate this which is why it's done only for the construction drawings.

eg. as an example during detailed design the 12 million building grew 25mm in one direction and 45mm in the other direction to align to brick dimensions. At over 15 meters long this isn't an issue planning wise. These construction drawings will have no waste. If the planning drawings were used you'd be cutting bricks.

Edited by Dudda
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Olf said:

That will be it, I had the same issue. Do triple check the settings for scaling when exporting - when printed from CAD itself it knows what to do, but PDF viewer (my LA uses Foxit, you can download it for free to test) will scale to the tags experted

Think its now fixed. Unfortunately i ont have an A3 printer at home but i just did a A4 print all but just part of the page and it now measures ok.

As for Bricklayers, dont need them if for an ICF build. Big Lego for the win.

• 5 months later...

@Duddayou seem to know your stuff.

I see my architect has submitted a proposed site plan to planning (stage 1 I believe of the process). The site location is OK, but the positioning of the house is not what I agreed, it facing the wrong direction slightly, it basically need rotated slightly to face the landscape views.

Can this be changed or is it too late. 

Many thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/08/2022 at 10:59, Jamc said:

@Duddayou seem to know your stuff.

I see my architect has submitted a proposed site plan to planning (stage 1 I believe of the process). The site location is OK, but the positioning of the house is not what I agreed, it facing the wrong direction slightly, it basically need rotated slightly to face the landscape views.

Can this be changed or is it too late. 

Many thanks 

They need to be as accurate as possible. My septic tank was moved by 2meters, which had no real issue with the overall drawings but I was told to resubmit the correct drawings. 

so far 6 months over the decision dates and I still have no answer from planning. 
they cannot be contacted either but any means.

• Like 1