Gas pipe under suspended timber floor

Marvin

My brother-in-law was discussing trying to prepare for the gas pipework route for his new kitchen.

This is the pipework after the gas meter.  He tells me that he thought  it could run under the suspended timber floor if he used Tracpipe is this right? He is concerned as the only way around the building otherwise would be along the external wall down the side path exposed to possible damage.

What's the regs on this?

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

He is concerned as the only way around the building otherwise would be along the external wall down the side path exposed to possible damage.

Nice big fat 28mm pipe looping up over windows & doorways. That seems to be what Gas Safe thinks is the bees knees these days. I have a rental property where they insisted on switching out 15mm from the meter to 22mm when fitting a new boiler. Only way was round the side of the house but that was a shared corridor so they poked it right through a ground floor room and out the back wall. Then they ran it over the top of a brick barbecue I'd built against the back wall ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Radian said:

Nice big fat 28mm pipe looping up over windows & doorways. That seems to be what Gas Safe thinks is the bees knees these days. I have a rental property where they insisted on switching out 15mm from the meter to 22mm when fitting a new boiler. Only way was round the side of the house but that was a shared corridor so they poked it right through a ground floor room and out the back wall. Then they ran it over the top of a brick barbecue I'd built against the back wall ?

So what's the point of this pre-ducted flexi gas pipe then?

37 minutes ago, Radian said:

so they poked it right through a ground floor room and out the back wall.

Hang on. An exposed pipe high up on the wall INSIDE? ?? WTF!

Edited by Marvin

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Hang on. An exposed pipe high up on the wall INSIDE? ?? WTF!

About 5m long, just above skirting. looks lovely. ?

All in the name of safety of course, but the muppet didn't think there'd be an issue running it over the top a barbeque Wish I'd taken a photo before I demolished it.

Rather old but.. 

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/vented-gas-pipe.178146/

Corgi TB 217 clarified this issue. Gas pipes in floor voids don't require extra ventilation. Pipes in ducts require ventilation if the cross sectional area is greater than 0.01 square metres or a volume of less than 0.1 cu m.

Google says TB 217 is now renumbered TB 113. 

Sadly it appears you need to be gas safe registered to access the technical bulletins.

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just remember to sleeve the pipe when passing through structures with a cavity, sealing the open ends of the sleeve on the side which would allow any accumulated gas in the sleeve ( in the event of damage ) to escape to atmosphere or the ventilated space. 

Understood. Was going too anyway but thanks for commenting.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marvin said:

My brother-in-law was discussing trying to prepare for the gas pipework route for his new kitchen.

This is the pipework after the gas meter.  He tells me that he thought  it could run under the suspended timber floor if he used Tracpipe is this right? He is concerned as the only way around the building otherwise would be along the external wall down the side path exposed to possible damage.

What's the regs on this?

You can use standard copper pipe with soldered joints under a floor. The solumn should be ventilated? Yes? If not, worry about that more than the pipe! 

A lot of misconceptions perpetrated by the trades who are getting lazier by the day.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hilldes said:

Here’s my thread from a few months back. It depends I think on what type of suspended floor - mine was a ground floor, beam and block.

Yes thanks for that. I had read it a couple of nights ago.