Storm Corrie

48 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Caberflor osb factory at Inverness imports trunks from Norway, this sort of size.

They seem to swallow up a lot of timber since the expansion. One of the local timber harvesters sells pretty much everything he cuts to them  (barring the sawlogs). Always see massive stacks of timber hidden near the factory.

On 05/02/2022 at 16:31, Ralph said:

Knackered but getting there. New gutters, ridges, roof panels and some cedral required. Still a lot of tree to cut.

20220205_144020~2.jpg

Don't know what you have planned for the oak, but do not burn it. They can be sold for surprisingly big money.  Can put you in touch with a furniture maker here who would be very interested, including some of the smaller limbs.

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

Those almond farms are insane

Spain import Californian almonds for their speciality products (marzipan and turron, and a soup I have forgotten), while thousands of hectares go untended.

I think almonds in shell are worth about E2 /kg , so not worth the attention.

2 hours ago, Ralph said:

I think we import the majority of our timber. They problem is going to be getting it out of the woods, those single grip harvester machines are amazing and I would think the operators are going to be on double bubble for a while. 

The UK produces less than 10% of the timber we use. Total use is something like 50 million tonnes.

Most of that will probably be Scottish.

One surprise stat is that total forest cover is up from 5% around 1900 to around 13% now.

F

9 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

One surprise stat is that total forest cover is up from 5% around 1900 to around 13% now.

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/tools-and-resources/statistics/statistics-by-topic/woodland-statistics/

UK, as we know it, has been historically low in tree cover for centuries.

https://www.conservationhandbooks.com/woodlands/a-brief-history-of-woodlands-in-britain/

Edited by SteamyTea

2 hours ago, Stones said:

Don't know what you have planned for the oak, but do not burn it. They can be sold for surprisingly big money.  Can put you in touch with a furniture maker here who would be very interested, including some of the smaller limbs.

Plan is to keep trunks and limbs in as big bits as possible and get them on stretchers off the ground until I can get someone to process it. Would be happy to sell it and gets some cash.

People round here are being charged £500+ to clear a downed tree and the contractor keeps the wood. 

7 hours ago, markc said:

Omg! First thought was the area had been felled but then realised how many root balls are visible

That photo reminds me of the landscape around Mount St. Helens in Washington State 5 years after the volcano blew. The main difference is that the volcanic blast aligned the fallen trees.

13 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Surprisingly high.

For a country with an equivalent population and about half to 3/4 of the area of countries people wanting to talk the UK down normally compare us with ? .

These pictures are amazing. (Pretty sure I seen them on insta too so we must follow you guys there). 

I have 14 acres ny dad bought ona whim 30 years ago for 1k. I had it valued a few years back but the sales guy said that any really big oaks go for for £10k, seemed very high so take it wotha pinch of salt! 

I would like to see some areas where confiers have been planted changed to a system of coppicing. 

It would be a different direction to what has been norm since the end of the second world war, but much of the UK's woodland management heritage was established around this practise.

I am the sure the numbers probably don't stack up on this approach for commerical forestry.

An established root system would help the trees when freak gales occur such as the photos earlier in the topic.

We will need to gradually remove our spruce trees on the croft as they become prone to being blown over. These homegrown trees are used for firewood and replace with usually alder, birch or oak. 

I have recieved 20 hazels nuts this week which will start their coppicing journey this weekend.

1 hour ago, Thedreamer said:

usually alder, birch or oak. 

The Woodland Trust do a 'Scottish' collection and a 'Wetland' one, which seem good value.

We suspect you just have to discuss tree planting with a mobile phone nearby for them to facebook ad you next day.

I am pressing for some coppice planting as will be very efficient for firewood cropping, but am not prevailing. We do have some ancient woodland, but nothing new as deer eat all new shoots.

6 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

These pictures are amazing. (Pretty sure I seen them on insta too so we must follow you guys there). 

I have 14 acres ny dad bought ona whim 30 years ago for 1k. I had it valued a few years back but the sales guy said that any really big oaks go for for £10k, seemed very high so take it wotha pinch of salt! 

My wife does the instgram stuff under @blackfoxbarn so you may have seen them there. I know when we bought oak for the stair treads it was pricey but it came from Latvia 

• Like 1