Appliances: brand new or brand name?

I don't know if we are high end but wife thinks so :ph34r:. Remember guest will arrive and want you out of the way asap.  They do not want a war and peace version of how to operate things as soon as they arrive. The last thing you want is a call to explain why the washing machine has not worked due to operator error and they have no clean clothes

On 2017-4-27 at 13:28, divorcingjack said:

I've gone for the Gumtree approach for Miele appliances throughout.

100%. If you want top reliability, its Miele. And there's not much downside to buying secondhand.

New prices are high, so save searches on ebay/gumtree for the specific models you require. So far I have sourced W.Machine, fully integrated Dishwasher, LPG Gas Hob, Kitchen Extractor. All about half price.  Just takes longer and you have to go pick them up. But I can attest that they all last for more than ten years and I cant recall the last time a repair was needed.

One of the best places we've stayed in (a converted dovecot in Cumbria) had really simple appliances, with some very brief laminated labels stuck on things with just enough info to get them working, things like a label on the washing machine with brief decode of the settings for a "normal" wash.  Many places provide a book of instructions, usually with local information as well, but frankly it's a bit of a pain having to read through pages of stuff just to find out how to get the washing machine to work.  One place we stayed in had practically every control locked down, even the room thermostat, which I thought was a bit OTT, as we ended up having to leave windows wide open to cool the place down when the heating was running.

We tend to stay in out-of-the way self-catering a fair bit, and don't really need much in terms of conveniences.  A very simple hob, oven, microwave, toaster, kettle, washing machine, radio and TV is more than enough, and arguably we could easily do without a TV, as we don't go on holiday to sit in front of the thing!  We never cook anything complicated on holiday, it's always a mix of eating out and just simple meals if we're staying in.  I'm not even really that fussed about having internet connectivity, but my other half is - if she can't use her iPad within ten minutes of walking in it's usually up to me to find a way to create a wifi hot spot for her, pronto, usually by tethering it to my Android tablet.

I'm definitely up for doing anything that makes the place idiot proof. I've worked in tourism/hospitality; people up here joke that the tourists must leave their brains behind when they cross the bridge. Biggest bugbear is single track roads and the utter ineptitude of people who cannot understand the concept that sometimes you have to stop your car. They'd rather drive into the ditch if it meant not stopping to use a passing place. I'm actually going to write a little leaflet to explain how the road work, which may not change anything but will be good for my sanity. But I digress!

Any suggestions for particular makes/brands that will be better in terms of ease of use? I have some experience of some quite high end Neff stuff in a relative's house, and whilst it is very nice and I would be very happy to own it myself, I did need some things pointed out to me about both the hob and the oven.

I will try to keep an eye on Gumtree and eBay but one downside of low population density is that a 'local bargain' might be five hours drive away on the other side of the country, so I can't let myself be too picky.

Meile is pretty much plug and play TBH, as imo they favour function over form. 

My dishwasher lasted 13 years and I was its second owner. It was the fill valve that went but I couldn't be bothered fault finding ( in my 4 mins per day spare time ). 

Would prob still be going now TBH. 

Crofter, recognise your location makes EBay more limiting, but I have been amazed by the kitchen appliances I have purchased via it over the last few months. Mostly Miele, it seems to have been coming out of high end refurbishments, where the equipment has hardly been used, but they must have the latest / shiniest new ones.

I estimate new cost would have been circa £8k all in, yes I have travelled a bit, but got it all for sub £800!

I'm also amazed at the nearly-new stuff that gets thrown out - Freecycle around here often has nearly brand new kitchens that are being binned because new owners buy a house and don't like the kitchen!  A few months ago I saw what must have been a kitchen costing north of £30k being given away free.................

10 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I'm also amazed at the nearly-new stuff that gets thrown out - Freecycle around here often has nearly brand new kitchens that are being binned because new owners buy a house and don't like the kitchen!  A few months ago I saw what must have been a kitchen costing north of £30k being given away free.................

Noted :-).

We have a big freecycle group here.

@Crofter a good radio is a must. Roberts or Sony? a small one in the loo  too is a nice touch with spare batteries in a cupboard, they won't steal them...honest.

My favourite holiday rentals are ones owned by families that use them themselves. Nik nacs in the kitchen drawers, like strangely designed corkscrews or a collection of BBQ tools in a basket in a cupboard somewhere.

Best advice is live in it for a week and stay away from your own house.

56 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

A pet favourite...wallpaper one bathroom wall with Maps of Skye.

I've got plenty of old marine charts that would be perfect for this- fewer folds in them than an OS map.

Could you apply some sort of protective laquer finish over the top?

11 hours ago, Crofter said:

I've got plenty of old marine charts that would be perfect for this- fewer folds in them than an OS map.

Could you apply some sort of protective laquer finish over the top?

I think there is value in displaying the island OS map, too, so that they can plan their day like Magnus Pyke, and see where they went.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

I would go for Siemens ovens/hob/dishwasher. They tend to look nicer than the Bosch/Neff equivalents for a similar price.

You can often get ex display items on Ebay at a nice discount. Although I often notice they are collections only.

I would def get new/ex display ones and then pay for the 5 year warranty extensions considering that they may be mistreated.

We have a touch control induction hob. People seem to find it OK to use. If I was looking for oven I would go one generation back on Ebay as they have manual control knobs whereas the new ones are digital and more complicated to work.

I would consider a pyroclean oven as no one will ever clean it and it makes such a good job of cleaning it.

I am going to get Miele washer and dryer in the new place but as I understand it the premium for their other appliances is not worth it. The other appliances I have read don't have the same better reliability although I have only read this anecdotally. They can cost twice as much as Siemens items easily. Also would you let any visitor play around with a £1500 oven. Also Siemens has a very good repair network if things do go wrong.

I agree with what everyone says, who uses all these programmes. I always try to buy the basic item from a higher end make.

A microwave is likely to be useful for people staying a short time. More useful than an oven. Thus you might consider a combination microwave oven. However, I would note that the Siemens one we have has been the only item we have had that is unreliable and I have heard other similar stories on this specific item.

Our Siemens dishwasher on the other hand gets used pretty much every day and the last two we have had have been faultless.

You should look for a totally frost free fridge as defrosting it might be a pain. However, they tend to be much more expensive.

My thoughts @Crofter- I would emphasize maintainability and local service in addition to price, and deemphasie brand if it is at least 'acceptable'.

IMO your guests want / need for appliances:

a - Simple things that can be used with zero instruction, or no more than a flash card. I do not see them cooking more complexly than say a roast chicken.

b - Stuff that works.

c - A viable instant alternative if it stops working.

d - A repair that will be in place to benefit the remainder of their holiday.

On supplier etc, I would go for someone who can mend / replace the same day if necessary. Your guests will be paying £300-£700 a week (?) and it only needs a 10% requested refund once or twice to cover a rapid repair or better service warranty.

On (a) and (b), that says "basic plus one". For an oven, for me that implies single, quality, oven, easily controlled and with nothing more complicated than a timer. A fan oven with a decent grill may be good. For a hob that means ceramic for maintenance, perhaps knobs not touch-buttons so easy to see "on or off", effective "still hot" lights and perhaps easy child-lockouts. Does it want a "zone" ring (not sure what they are called)?

Given the choice of induction hob or pyrolitic oven, I would take the latter to save cleaning time for me in case they do something horrible to the oven.

(c) I think you want a microwave from day 1 for resilience and convenience reasons, perhaps with a grill.

(d) Rather than ebay and gumtree I would look at local suppliers on the Island or just off, where maintenance is close. Either a local independent if such exists and can do a rapid response, or a multiple if such exist.

I am appalled that no one has mentioned coffee xD (*). I would suggest a large double walled stainless steel cafetiere (I have ProCook), and an Aeropress, which makes amazing real coffee in a single mug. Both are about £25. 

Ferdinand

(*) PS Apart from @divorcingjack.

Edited by Ferdinand
Foiled. Grr.
  • Like 1

At a quick check I see there is a Howdens on Skye in Portree.

My current Howdens catalogue, in addition to Lamona their own brand, includes ranges from AEG, Bosch and Neff.

Prices should be good if you or a friend can be trade, but the guarantee is only 2 years. Another option.

Service details are here, and not as good as I wished for above:

https://www.howdens.com/appliance-collection/howdens-appliance-service/

But they cover appliances in Boats !

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Thanks Ferd, that could be a good call about Howdens. I'd kind of forgotten that they would do appliances, just thought of them as kitchen unit and joinery suppliers. It might be worth my while getting a quote for all the appliances together and see what they can do for me. And maybe get a tradey mate to do the same and see if theirs is any lower :D

55 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

Avoid Howdens appliances. They are diabolical.

Get a good brand. Less likely to go wrong and cause you grief running around.

I was thinking of going with Bosch rather than their own brand. Thanks for the advice!

1 minute ago, Crofter said:

I was thinking of going with Bosch rather than their own brand. Thanks for the advice!

Just remember Bosch though the 'value' range of the BSH stable isnt necessarily the cheapest so look at base spec Neff and Siemens. You might find a cheaper deal on the other two.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 08:08, Ferdinand said:

I am appalled that no one has mentioned coffee xD (*). I would suggest a large double walled stainless steel cafetiere (I have ProCook), and an Aeropress, which makes amazing real coffee in a single mug. Both are about £25. 

I actually started writing something the weekend before last about coffee, but we were away on the Isle of Wight, and reception was spotty so I gave up.

I use an Aeropress most days at home.  Amazing bit of kit, but a bit of a learning curve for people unfamiliar with them.  I think a decent cafetiere is very worthwhile though.  

My wife laughed at me when we unpacked the car on the Isle of Wight last weekend and I pulled this out of the boot:

5912dc4086e62_LaPavoni.thumb.jpg.8511c0f01b61a36de84bac5fbcfae5f9.jpg

As usual, lots of laughing at me about the efforts I make to ensure we have decent coffee when we travel, but no shame about accepting the resultant lattes!

(Just to be clear, I only brought the La Pavoni to steam milk.  I did the coffee in the Aeropress.)

Coffee drinking is just one of these things that happens to other people. I know lots about it- worked for a couple of years in a cafe so I know my lattes from my espressos- just can't stand the taste of the stuff. I'm afraid I'm a tea jenny all the way.

I'll defer any coffee related decisions to SWMBO...

• Like 1