Super mega fugly garden to fix

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I pay 80p a square yard for meadow turf - sounds like she needs to shop around .... 

How much turf do you buy?

I'd rather pay a bit more for a proper hard wearing lawn grass for my kids to do wheelies and burn-outs on than just put a cheap meadow type grass for coverage. Round here we're looking at £2-£2.50 per sq m for lawn turf.

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You do realise your kids will quite likely develop agoraphobia with all this mass of new,  open space?

Along with "Daddy, where's my pet brick gone?"

:)

Of course, they'll be banned from it for the first 3 weeks by which time they'll have gone on their 6 weeks summer hols so won't get to play on it till September.

1 hour ago, daiking said:

How much turf do you buy?

I'd rather pay a bit more for a proper hard wearing lawn grass for my kids to do wheelies and burn-outs on than just put a cheap meadow type grass for coverage. Round here we're looking at £2-£2.50 per sq m for lawn turf.

At £2-2.50 you are in Rolawn territory. Only difference between the types of turf are the blends of grass within them - bents, fescues and clovers. 

If you want very hard wearing then you need to probably go down the pitch turf route - wont be cheap but would do the job you're after. The quick-fix route would be to go for a meadow grass and let it establish and then do a series of selective kill/seed/feed cycles to remove the clovers and then overseed with different grass seeds to create the blend you want. 

39 minutes ago, PeterW said:

At £2-2.50 you are in Rolawn territory. Only difference between the types of turf are the blends of grass within them - bents, fescues and clovers. 

If you want very hard wearing then you need to probably go down the pitch turf route - wont be cheap but would do the job you're after. The quick-fix route would be to go for a meadow grass and let it establish and then do a series of selective kill/seed/feed cycles to remove the clovers and then overseed with different grass seeds to create the blend you want. 

Unless you tell me the secret password, they're the prices we're getting and believe me my wife will call anyone. Been told that one of the 'features' of a sports turf is that it is very fast growing so may require twice weekly cutting. A normal lawn turf should be ok. Would rather just go for a decent turf now than try to improve a cheap grass over a couple of years. Its taken some friends 3-4 years to sort out their established lawn from when they bought their house - and that was getting someone in, not DIY.

Edited by daiking

34 minutes ago, Onoff said:

1st July was supposed to be the deadline wasn't it? 

As you said, you didn't agree which year! :)

If we get approx. 200 sq m of turf by mid-July, is that not a success?

This first part will cost us £1500 - 2 days digger + driver + dumper, pecker (1 day), 3 grab wagon loads. cleared and levelled, 30 tonnes of grade b topsoil brought in and spread.

Turf (and possibly laying) will be on top of that.

It can be difficult to gauge from mobile phone camera pictures, so for reference its approx. 20m from the edge of the house where this picture was taken to that little tree at the back in front of the ladder

IMG-20170712-WA0002.jpg

This is the 10m or so between the house and the stream and you can now more clearly see the fence of the neighbour across the stream. Lots of that greenery you can see is the otherside of the chainlink fence, including the semi-dreaded Himalayan Balsam.

IMG-20170712-WA0001.jpg

Edited by daiking

36 minutes ago, daiking said:

Unless you tell me the secret password, they're the prices we're getting and believe me my wife will call anyone. Been told that one of the 'features' of a sports turf is that it is very fast growing so may require twice weekly cutting. A normal lawn turf should be ok. Would rather just go for a decent turf now than try to improve a cheap grass over a couple of years. Its taken some friends 3-4 years to sort out their established lawn from when they bought their house - and that was getting someone in, not DIY.

Aren't you near Chester ..??

£1.95 a metre but give them a call and this is for sports turf plus free fertilizer

http://www.watmorestopsoil.co.uk/onlineshop/gardenturf/luxurysport.html

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Aren't you near Chester ..??

£1.95 a metre but give them a call and this is for sports turf plus free fertilizer

http://www.watmorestopsoil.co.uk/onlineshop/gardenturf/luxurysport.html

Thanks, I've passed that on to the wife.

We're near Manchester Airport in broad terms but they cover this way and further.

48 minutes ago, daiking said:

If we get approx. 200 sq m of turf by mid-July, is that not a success?

Only kidding! I was just worried you were after my crown! :)

When all the cr@p's gone, look at those very first photos you put up and pat yourself on the back.

19 hours ago, Onoff said:

Only kidding! I was just worried you were after my crown! :)

When all the cr@p's gone, look at those very first photos you put up and pat yourself on the back.

And shoot yourself in the foot.

Looking very brown this morning. 2 more wagons needed before they bring some more material in. worried that we won't have taken out the wild garlic bulbs fully so they'll come up through the lawn next spring. Well, until I the first time I cut the grass in the spring that is. Anything else (and thee is so much stuff in the ground its untrue, me and the grass will have to fight.