Stupid question: what does the often quoted "£2000 sq m" actually include?

LaCurandera

Hi, 

As we go through the process of working out what's the best way forward for our build, I have broadly discounted demolition + new build due to budget if £2000 / sq m (which I know is a generalisation) holds true

However, I wanted to check what might be in/out of that kind of round number. 

I'm excluding all fees (and the plot) separately. 

Base level (basically an empty, watertight shell)

• Foundations
  • Services 
  • Heat source (boiler, ASHP, UFH etc)
  • Walls 
  • Insulation
  • Windows
  • Roof
  • Internal finish to plaster
  • Internal doors
  • Sockets / switches
  • Pluming / electrics to the right rooms (e.g. bathroom) but not fitted to anything (is that first fix?)

Second level

• Skirting / coving
  • Kitchen
  • Ulitity
  • Bathroom(s)
  • Flooring (karndean, carpet etc)
  • Decorating

Third level - Optional things like 

• Cabinetry
  • wardrobes
  • Log burner 

These are my levels, completely made up, but just wanted to get a feel for what might be in/out of the more generalist numbers on assumptions. E.g. I know we can save ££ at the second and third level which budget choices but wouldn't want to scrimp too much on the base as that's much harder to change.

Thanks in advance!

Hi - yes you seem to hit the spot with regards to your breakdowns -

We built in 2018 so I am happy to share some figures with you as to how we "established" a £ per square metre figure. Remember though, these figures are no longer accurate and the £ per square metre figure can not really be measured £ for £ due to the many variables.

We never worried about the £ per square metre figure, our financial guidance was simply controlled by how much money I had left in my account !! Therefore the £ per square metre figure is irrelevant to us. Each to their own.

Heating and plumbing included our WBS and installation. 

For the finer details of our build have a look at my blog.

Land & fees etc   £120,465.00            
Utility connections £1,817.00              
Construction Costs £154,910.00              
Roof coverings £20,131.00              
Car port & porch £31,955.00              
Heating & Plumbing £21,371.00              
Joinery etc £25,806.00              
Electrics £5,070.00              
Windows and doors £22,214.00              
Kitchen etc £17,148.00              
sanitaryware £4,653.00              
Fitted wardrobes     9,007.00          
Curtains     £4,080.00          
Landscaping       £13,092.00        

£305,075.00         £305,075   £1848 p.s.m

£305,075.00 £120,465.00       £425,540   £2579 p.s.m

£305,075.00 £120,465.00 £13,087     £438,627   £2658 p.s.m 

£305,075.00 £240,930.00 £13,087 £13,092.00   £572,184   £3467 p.s.m

• Like 1

My understanding has always been that the per m2 build cost is everything to build once plot and permissions are in hand (so does not include architect, SE etc.) divided by the gross internal footprint (however you choose to calculate that).

Some include services and major enabling groundworks (inc. demolition) as part of the plot costs as a difficult plot (e.g. slope or ex industrial) could be cheaper than a level clean site ready to start work.

As you've correctly assumed, you don't want to skimp on the fundamental fabric and similar things that will be deep inside your build and therefore very expensive to upgrade later (these things are ironically usually inexpensive to do at that time, e.g. insulation, cabling, ducting etc).

The things that are easy to upgrade later tend to be visible items i.e. pretty much anything that is second fix (kitchen, appliances, sanity-ware, light fittings etc... even flooring or doors). Ironically these are normally the higher individual cost items at the time.

21 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

My understanding has always been that the per m2 build cost is everything to build once plot and permissions are in hand (so does not include architect, SE etc.) divided by the gross internal footprint (however you choose to calculate that).

Some include services and major enabling groundworks (inc. demolition) as part of the plot costs as a difficult plot (e.g. slope or ex industrial) could be cheaper than a level clean site ready to start work.

As you've correctly assumed, you don't want to skimp on the fundamental fabric and similar things that will be deep inside your build and therefore very expensive to upgrade later (these things are ironically usually inexpensive to do at that time, e.g. insulation, cabling, ducting etc).

The things that are easy to upgrade later tend to be visible items i.e. pretty much anything that is second fix (kitchen, appliances, sanity-ware, light fittings etc... even flooring or doors). Ironically these are normally the higher individual cost items at the time.

We posted our spreadsheet on here showing our £815 m2 That included Architechts Structual Engineer services and All surveys So it was the total cost of the build Except for the land 

We will probably do the same on our next 

But realize some have massive charges getting services to there plots 

So perhaps helpful to state that 

If we had brought a building contractor in 

I think I would keep these out of m2 cost 

and add to the total build cost at the end 

Pretty much like bank charges 

39 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

+1, once the basic build is up and loads of insulation installed and attention to airtightness is completed most other things can be upgraded later. Remember you only buy insulation once and it’s lasts a very long time. Unlike gas and electricity ?.

Not a stupid question at all since everyone has a slightly different understanding!

It is a largely arbitrary figure but sometimes useful for comparison. Of course the only way to compare ‘apples with apples’ is if everyone adopts the same methodology. In my ‘sums’ I have separated the land cost, utilities and professional fees from the cost of building the house. Simply because these are driven external influences outside my control. Clearly all these costs need to be summed up to compare with the market price of houses in your area.