Garage demolition - need I notify anyone

Carrerahill

Our planning application is in for our new extension and new garage, I know I don't need planning for my existing garage demolition but do I need a building warrant. My thinking is no. 

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by Carrerahill

A general rule is that you don't demolish anything before getting planning permission for a replacement, even if that replacement might fall under Permitted Development, as there is always the chance that the new planning application will be refused as it stands, or have a condition applied that removes Permitted Development Rights.

There have been cases where people have had planning permission for a major renovation, for example, and then had a wall fall down during the process, that rendered their planning permission null and void, meaning a stop to all work whilst they submitted a new application, plus the risk that the new application may be refused.

Unless you are 100% confident of the outcome, I think it's probably wise to hold back on any demolition until you have the planning permission approved, just in case.

4 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

A general rule is that you don't demolish anything before getting planning permission for a replacement, even if that replacement might fall under Permitted Development, as there is always the chance that the new planning application will be refused as it stands, or have a condition applied that removes Permitted Development Rights.

There have been cases where people have had planning permission for a major renovation, for example, and then had a wall fall down during the process, that rendered their planning permission null and void, meaning a stop to all work whilst they submitted a new application, plus the risk that the new application may be refused.

Unless you are 100% confident of the outcome, I think it's probably wise to hold back on any demolition until you have the planning permission approved, just in case.

Wise words and I know what you are saying but I won't demolish the current garage until the new one is up anyway, I was just wanting to know if I need to tell building control. 

I knocked down a house to build my new house and we certainly had to notify BC for that.

From what I can see you will need a warrant, although you could contact the council and ask as I don't know at what point that something is a small enough demolition to be exempt.

10 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

people round the corner had to demolish garage first before new one was built as planning said 'you may decide to keep the old one' admittedly pp passed

That would annoy me as I want the old garage to store stuff in until the new one is built, if it doesn't fall down beforehand!