Fast broadband but slow Tv streaming

Our broadband has a download speed of around 60 having just upgraded it. From the router in the bedroom I have an ethernet feed to the lounge into a switch there and then various feeds into the TV, and a camera etc.

Another feed from the router goes to an external wired camera. Another to a VOIP box. The final two go out into the garden and provision a shed and our garden office. There is at least 20 metres of CAT 6 cable I think from the router to the office. WHen it comes into the office it goes into another switch and from that we have wired feeds to a PC, a camera, a TV, a streaming hifi unit. The PC in this office room shows a download speed of around 60Mb/s. The 4k TV wired to the same switch is the issue. It simply refuses to stream iplayer at 4k. It is a new LG OLED that is a year old. 

I just dont understand why there is a problem when I get the speed I do at the PC which feeds from the same switch.

Is there any obvious issue anyone can identify or anything I can try to diagnose the issue? thanks

According to What HiFi "the BBC recommends an internet connection with a minimum speed of 40Mbps for the full-fat 4K experience of 3840 pixels at 50 frames per second."

That's hefty. I'm not sure I believe it. However, I don't trust ISP's either. The number of times things have ground to a halt until the moment I browse on to speedtest.net when lo and behold, my connection ramps up to 70mb/s and stays there until next time. Funny that. I suppose one check you could make would be to lug your telly next to the broadband router and direct cable to that. Just to rule out cables/switches etc.

Do you have Netflix on the TV? If so, use it's Built-In speed test (under Get Help IIRC) to see what it gives you, or do this: https://smarthomestarter.com/how-to-check-internet-speed-of-an-lg-tv/

I assume you've ruled out a dodgy cable by swapping to another one, and tried switching ports on the switch, to rule that out too?

Edited by AliMcLeod

I had a very similar issue recently (speed to desktop fine, television very slow or non-existent) which was solved with some help on here when I switched our router from IPv6 to IPv4. See if you can do the same. I'm afraid I can't give any more details than that, I have no idea what either IPv6 or IPv4 are, and probably only a light grasp of what a router is - but it worked for us!

Not all IP traffic is equal so an ISP could, in theory, prioritise the type of IP traffic used in a speed test but restrict that used in TV streaming.

If possible, get the TV next to the router, bypassing all the internals, and see if that makes any difference.

You don't specify your ISP or router model - some are quite intelligent, others can be pretty dumb.

MTU size can have an impact  - guide here https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-optimize-the-mtu-setting-on-your-router-for-better-performance/

56 minutes ago, Tom said:

I had a very similar issue recently (speed to desktop fine, television very slow or non-existent) which was solved with some help on here when I switched our router from IPv6 to IPv4. See if you can do the same. I'm afraid I can't give any more details than that, I have no idea what either IPv6 or IPv4 are, and probably only a light grasp of what a router is - but it worked for us!

In theory IPv6 is faster than IPv4 but the change above may have restricted Quality of Service (QoS) mechanisms which may have changed how traffic is prioritised. However I'd think that would only happen in your own network but my knowledge runs out here!

Thanks - yes I have tried changing ports on the switch. The TV does get an internet connection so I have figured the cable from switch to TV is ok. I have actually managed to download a speed test app on the TV and it shows 2Mb/s as the download speed v 60 on the PC. Both connect into the same switch. No wonder why I cant stream 4K!

Its quite a mystery. I am on Plusnet and use their router which must be at least 4 years old or so. I am actually expecting a new router from Plusnet any day - their updated model - so I maybe need to be patient and see if that makes a difference.

In the meantime I decided to reset the TV to factory settings. It had not been allowing me to update the software previoulsy getting to about 5% max and then stalling but now having reset and run update again it looks like it might finally update - its around 40% now and moving so if this does update it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference 

Thanks for comments so far.

Just because the TV gets internet, it does not mean the cable is ok. A badly crimped cable can work with reduced throughput - if you've not already done so, i'd definitely try it with another one.

I assume the TV has wifi too - can you hang an access point off the switch and see what speed the TV gets via the speed test on wifi? Unlikely, but could be a dodgy ethernet port on the TV. Not sure it will tell you much, but it's another data point and could also rule out any ISP throttling as suggested by BitPipe.

If you can't get wifi to it, set up your phone as a hotspot and see if it works with that?

Did you try a web based speed tester (as per the link i added above) rather than a downloaded one?

Edited by AliMcLeod

Thanks everyone for their comments - in the end resetting the TV software let me then download the latest software update for it. That basically fixed the issue with the connection speed and iplayer now broadcasts in full 4k glory so all is well that ends well