Intro - New Build in East Lothian, Scotland

Meabh

Hi everyone - we have received planning permission to knock down the bungalow we've lived in for 3 years and build a new home (we have 3 young boys). We are just about to start the building warrant stage. We are aiming for the "fabric first" approach -  Sips with UFH,  MVHR & solar (still deciding on ASHP vs tiny gas boiler).

The house will have

- 1 single story pod (kids bedrooms, bathroom and large hall/play area). The idea being we can shut it down when they leave home to reduce running costs.

- a double story pod with upstairs master suite, upstairs living, office, plant, bathroom and 2 rooms than can be gym/play areas but can also be bedrooms later down the line. The kitchen/living/diner looks a bit like an extension from this so we can get dual aspect views as we are in part of an old walled garden.

I've done a few smaller projects in England and the US but never built a house before. I was excited to project manage but am getting a bit nervous with the state of the building market (not being able to get trades to quote/do the work seems common in our area).

I am currently researching using an independent project manager to get us to watertight stage (SIPS co will erect the kit) and then taking over as I will be more confident by then.

ANy tips/hints gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like a great project, and a lovely part of the world too.

We are at a similar stage and quite nearby (Midlothian), just waiting for the Building Warrant to be approved so we can get started. If I end up finding any excellent local contractors I'll be happy to share if you promise to do the same! :D 

• Like 1