Kitchen extractor!!

Hi. We are at kitchen stage with our block built self build. I am keen to get yer opinions. Here is where I’m at. 
we have an peninsula type kitchen. Induction hob going on the peninsula in the middle of the room. I have worked hard on Airtightness so I presumed we would go with a recirculating extractor hob. I don’t want a hole in the wall..Some questions - are these hobs  effective against smells…if I am frying onions and the extractor is on … it will suck the moist air and all into the extractor ..through a filter and blow it our at the bottom … will there be a smell of onions being blown out at kickboard level…..!!??..are they effective??

what so passive homes do in relation to extraction..

must say also I have a whole house MVHR system where the extract is placed very near the hob location 

Any comments welcome ..

I note IKEA have one for 1500, B&Q on for 1300 and then there are the 3k ones.. any tips on buying these things…!

thanks very much 

31 minutes ago, Moggaman said:

what so passive homes do in relation to extraction..

We have a hole through the wall with a 150mm duct and a magnetic backdraft flap.

Have to put a window on tilt when the extract fan is on 2 or 3 due to good airtightness. 

It works fine. I wouldn’t be afraid of a recirculating extractor with a good carbon filter mind you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Iceverge said:

We have a hole through the wall with a 150mm duct and a magnetic backdraft flap.

Have to put a window on tilt when the extract fan is on 2 or 3 due to good airtightness. 

It works fine. I wouldn’t be afraid of a recirculating extractor with a good carbon filter mind you.

Do they all have a carbon filter coming as standard?

2 minutes ago, Moggaman said:

Do they all have a carbon filter coming as standard?

Don't know. 

1 minute ago, Moggaman said:

Why???

House too airtight. (0.31 ACH50) No air can go out if it can't come in anywhere. 

Recirculation for me.

No they don't all have carbon on filters, some do come with, others its an option.

There are two types of carbon filter, use and bin or regenerative.

Mvhr will do a good job of smells and steam, just put on boost.  I don't bother with the extractor if it's just steam, if frying or very smelly I use the extractor and mvhr on boost.

We're pretty airtight (a wee bit over 1ACH) and our hood which is rated at 600m3/hr on full will

a. open the sealed, weighted, gravity flap in the duct at low speed

b. depressurise the house to about 30Pa when on full.

...but the supply flows increase when it's on as fans happily freewheel and bypass. I haven't yet been able to detect reverse flow at the extract vents so at worst airflow is stalling on the extract side. I would do a fair bit of stirfry and pulling the air out of the house for ten minutes is a better option to me than the possibility of greasing up thee nearby ducts...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dpmiller said:

We're pretty airtight (a wee bit over 1ACH) and our hood which is rated at 600m3/hr on full will

a. open the sealed, weighted, gravity flap in the duct at low speed

b. depressurise the house to about 30Pa when on full.

...but the supply flows increase when it's on as fans happily freewheel and bypass. I haven't yet been able to detect reverse flow at the extract vents so at worst airflow is stalling on the extract side. I would do a fair bit of stirfry and pulling the air out of the house for ten minutes is a better option to me than the possibility of greasing up thee nearby ducts...

Love the stir fry’s!