Coving installation cost

Adsibob

I asked my builder to install cornicing/coving in two rooms. He sent me a contract variation notice where he is proposing to charge £15 plus VAT per metre for a small/medium coving (projection 120mm drop of 90mm) and £18 per metre plus VAT for a larger one (a projection of 190mm and a drop of 100mm). I am supplying the coving, he would just be cutting it, supplying adhesive and installing it. 

These prices seem a bit high to me, but I have no basis for saying that really, just gut instinct that given the room shapes are very regular and all tools (including a mitre block) are already on site, it just seems a bit high.

Thoughts?

For reference, the smaller coving is going in a room that has a perimter of about 14.5m and the larger coving is going in a room that has a perimenter of about 18m, and the coving in both cases is made of real gypsum, not the lightweight plastic.

Edited by Adsibob

So around £550 + VAT? These days around here that gets you 2 days' labour of a semi competent tradesperson. 

Does it look like a 2 day job?

The coving that was installed in our house when we moved in had such badly fitting joints, so if you get nice plaster coving with perfectly seamless transitions all smoothed out, I wouldn't be as scared by the total amount. Even though I reckon he'll do it in a day...

3 minutes ago, SuperPav said:

So around £550 + VAT? These days around here that gets you 2 days' labour of a semi competent tradesperson. 

Does it look like a 2 day job?

The coving that was installed in our house when we moved in had such badly fitting joints, so if you get nice plaster coving with perfectly seamless transitions all smoothed out, I wouldn't be as scared by the total amount. Even though I reckon he'll do it in a day...

To me, it looks like a one day job. That's why the price surprised me. But I'm in London, which I guess raises the prices. Though I would be extremely surprised if my builder is paying his guys much more than £150 a day, if that. Only half of them speak English.

Edited by Adsibob

The coving adhesive is really strong when it sets.  If you DIY this, wipe off any excess as it will not sand.  I have taken off coving where it feels like it is holding the place together.

Is the ceiling high?  It is no fun climbing up a ladder with a bit of plaster moulding loaded with adhesive.

I would not contest the price.  Not that much in the scheme of things.

Depending on the profile, you’ll need to pin it to hold it while it sets as gypsum coving is heavy. So it’s a 2 man job, probably needs a small hop up or tower set up and it will need to be reset for every wall. So a day or so to fit it all and then go back and clean up any joints etc plus pin holes isn’t unreasonable to do a decent job.