Chipboard floor screw centres

WWilts

22mm T&G P5 chipboard

D4 glue (Egger brand) being used. Mildly expanding.

Spax Wirox screws. Read somewhere here 150mm centres for the screws. Just want to understand exactly what that means.

Does that mean

a) a 2400mm x 600mm board would take 64 screws? ie screws at 150mm centres in all directions?
Or

b) 2 times 4 screws (only short ends of board screwed to joists)

39 minutes ago, WWilts said:

22mm T&G P5 chipboard

Spax Wirox screws. Read somewhere here 150mm centres for the screws. Just want to understand exactly what that means.

Does that mean

a) a 2400mm x 600mm board would take 64 screws? ie screws at 150mm centres in all directions?
Or

They are better glued and ring nailed 

Im guessing because you are using Egger because the floor will be open to the elements The problem with using screws is that the heads when sunk are leaving a lot of large holes for the water to get in While open to the elements 

Edited by nod
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, nod said:

They are better glued and ring nailed 

Im guessing because you are using Egger because the floor will be open to the elements The problem with using screws is that the heads when sunk are leaving a lot of large holes for the water to get in While open to the elements 

I have seen it where all boards are glued, the first board also gets a nail, then after it is watertight the whole lot gets screwed.

I am not sure the screws are needed, just what was specified.  These were collated ones with a square drive head that was non standard size.  If they missed a joist they would not sit flush and were a bastard to remove.

• Like 1

We glued and screwed, otherwise glue can lift the board when it expands. I know as I went back and screwed some later and had problem. I didn't do such close spacing though, prob every 300mm with more around edge and less in centre

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PeterW said:

... the rest are glued only. 

Wha ?  '... the rest glued only ...' ?  Glued only? 

Advice coming three years too late shouldn't be allowed .  Mine are glued and, every 400,  screwed.  A couple of people have mentioned that I tend to over-engineer stuff. Hmmmmm ...

27 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Wha ?  '... the rest glued only ...' ?  Glued only? 

Advice coming three years too late shouldn't be allowed .  Mine are glued and, every 400,  screwed.  A couple of people have mentioned that I tend to over-engineer stuff. Hmmmmm ...

Well I copied you so we can possibly both be wrong

Did a floor with a mate last week. Used glue and 28 screws per 2440*1220 sheet. 

The reason that number was chosen was that was the amount of screws we had! Seems fine. 

A nail gun would have been much faster however.

• Like 1

We didn’t glue (watertight refurb). Just 18 screws per 2400ish x 600 board (imperial joist spacing). Then laid UFH and heavy limestone. That was 3 months ago and no squeaks so far. 
Have we made a mistake? Not taking it up but he good to know!

Edited by CotswoldDoItUpper

4 hours ago, WWilts said:

22mm T&G P5 chipboard

Does that mean

Or

No point screwing at any more regular intervals then your joist spacing along the length. So 8 or 6 depending if you have 300 or 400 centres.

• Like 1