Any good news re building?

Yes we are seeing the effects of Covid, Brexit and inflation on supply and of course prices. That said, there must be some good news. We are at the start of our journey and I would love to hear some positive things. If you can think of any, please share. I can start with finding this site, it's so handy and informative.

There's lots of good news for me about building. For me it's about the connections made between all those involved..

Over the last five years because I've been outside ' ... doin' stoof ...' as our grandchild says,  some people walking past the build have stopped for a chat. Many have expressed interest in passivhaus construction and took the time to come in and look around.  Often people had no idea about  about ICF - so I have left a few blocks by the side of the road for them to look at. I try to mention the names of the trades folk who have helped us - oil  local wheels as it were.

Its good news to know the actual difference between what some people in the sector say and what they do. Planners who say one thing in private conversation and write another on official documentation, local councillors who criticise housing development and then a few months later sell their land for building, trades who while smiling  in public, behave abominably in private.  Its good to know stuff like that.

The process of building is so high-stakes that it flushes out both the good and the bad. Most often, I choose to remember the good. Good news, therefore!

• Like 3

We've had really good trades people.  We took a punt on the first ones in, they did a great job.  We asked the workers in house at the time to recommend different trades that were good to work with, went with recommendations of the trades people in  for subsequent trades, without fault they have all been great.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nod said:

One bit of good news is timber sheet material have dropped by about a third 

I'd love to know where? In our neck of the woods Birch plywood just went up by almost 15% again in January ?

8 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Yes we are seeing the effects of Covid, Brexit and inflation on supply and of course prices. That said, there must be some good news. We are at the start of our journey and I would love to hear some positive things. If you can think of any, please share. I can start with finding this site, it's so handy and informative.

I'm currently still in what feels like a grind with a partially complete house. Even so, we've got a couple of IR heaters upstairs and an area for the boys to be on their games/pc/tv as well as an area with a table tennis table. They are loving the house, think it's really exciting, amazingly cosy and they're getting very excited designing what are to be their new rooms. They're both aware that nobody in the world has a house like ours. For me, as I made what I'm not sure is the sensible or stupid decision, to build it entirely myself, I have that sense of satisfaction of creating something real and substantial in the world. Feels like a major achievement compared to what I now term as 'conceptual' stuff I spent my life doing, independently and in many large organisations for most of my life as a career which somehow never gave me the same real life tangible satisfaction.

Yup, it's stressful, it's tough, it's sometimes miserable, but any worthy journey must contain those ingredients as it ain't worth it otherwise.

• Like 3

Cana deck was over £30 a sheet at one stage Even TP are down to £23 now 

Some of the saw mills are selling ply at £22 again some where cashing in at £35

Things are definitely better than they where 

• Thanks 1

This is good news as having purchased 10k worth of timber materials in a rush last year at the absolute peak of the prices, only for it to still not be used by our builders. No, not bitter at all! 

At least we haven't yet ordered our OSB3 TG4, so hopefully that's come down in price a bit as need 200sqm of it!

5 hours ago, SimonD said:

I'd love to know where? In our neck of the woods Birch plywood just went up by almost 15% again in January ?

I'm currently still in what feels like a grind with a partially complete house. Even so, we've got a couple of IR heaters upstairs and an area for the boys to be on their games/pc/tv as well as an area with a table tennis table. They are loving the house, think it's really exciting, amazingly cosy and they're getting very excited designing what are to be their new rooms. They're both aware that nobody in the world has a house like ours. For me, as I made what I'm not sure is the sensible or stupid decision, to build it entirely myself, I have that sense of satisfaction of creating something real and substantial in the world. Feels like a major achievement compared to what I now term as 'conceptual' stuff I spent my life doing, independently and in many large organisations for most of my life as a career which somehow never gave me the same real life tangible satisfaction.

Yup, it's stressful, it's tough, it's sometimes miserable, but any worthy journey must contain those ingredients as it ain't worth it otherwise.

Structual Direct from the saw mil Cheshire 

image.png

image.png

• Like 2