Mini Stove > Cabin job.

zoothorn

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

You know that is the right solution really.

I do, but wasting 3/4 of a board, @ £15..

So I'm going to try the Muuri painted tiles 1st. Monitor. I think Im far enough from flue at 8", top area. 

If they get super hot.. I can remove & redo.

Looking forward to firing her up! Hoping for a silly cold snap.

Thanks, zoot.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Looks good.  Go on, I know it would be wasted, but stoke up the fire just to give it a go.

I will do when a cold snap comes ProDave..  I'll roast in there now.

If we had 26*C in feb last year, we might get 5*C in june.

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Spot on job - To set and cure the fire cement it needs heat so I would do a small test burn, then do another a bit warmer. 

Hi Peter- that's one thing I forgot then. But I guess it's too late now having set for a week, so when I fire up 1st will be same now as if I wait-?

1/2 a cut up 450mm pave slab each side, & ceiling plate nipped to shape around trickier LHS of flue. A bit 'zincy' but cheap & you don't look at it.

On 20/05/2022 at 19:18, ProDave said:

Looks good.  Go on, I know it would be wasted, but stoke up the fire just to give it a go.

Just fired her up! Omg there was all sorts of smoke nasties coming from the stove, but I saw from general 'all over' areas not vent areas.. & subsided after a fretful 3/4hr. I think.

Blazingly sauna- hot. Wow. I only did a small fire as Peter suggested too. This thing is mighty capable, fab design. But have I got twice what I need? Hmm.. seems so to me.

2 other concerns: the twinwall gets almost as hot as the single, you can barely put a hand in more than a second; now I did the fire test of a knauff fluff offcut ( stuff I ID'd a few posts before).. & wouldn't catch/ impressive.

Lastly the fireboard directly behind/ nearest stove gets mighty hot just from my small fire. I checked outside @ this exact spot, hand on wall, & cold as can be. I am therefore putting alot of trust this muuri paint + cement board.

Quite a 2 hours! Much guinness needed, for strength. Zoot.

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

You can "age" shiny zinc surfaces. Various DIY methods. For example:

https://www.creeklinehouse.com/how-to-age-galvanized-metal-containers/

I think I'll get used to it/ not notice tbh. Could be a very- last on the list jib tho. After the whippet. And Wilbur is waaay down still.

Did just fire her up tho! Thx zoot.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Any pics, the stove glowing in the dark cabin etc?

Got that CO alarm yet?

No I should've tho.. looked great. I had a window open, & door alot too, but I did think of your advice. Will buy before next fire. Tbh it's impossible to use unless flippin cold I think.. so could be October next time.

Main things ticked tho: draw seemed good, stove paint smoke ( assumed so) subsided... & main thing: it'll be mighty economical!! Woohoo! Makes a total mockery of my main s'room one already.

So I can run this entirely from forraged wood from lanes/ spots all around. No doubt at all.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Now build yourself a rustic log store so you've some dryer wood ready. 

Yes good idea. I'd also thought of a sort of small standing deck, between the pillar pads 5ft down the slope. And Logs under the cabin here ? Hmm had thiught of this, maybe inconvenient tho.

One definite job soon, is to build a walkway/ timber path, hugging the slope next to the stream, to connect the cabin to the lawn about 25m. This might end up at thhe pillars if on the same level from lawn, at the platform/ small new deck bit idea... then from here, steps up to cabin. Could easily haul a small log basket up from the pillar lower deck> up onto the cabin deck shoulder H above, from underneath cabin.

Just ideas/ sketches. 

Edited by zoothorn

• 2 weeks later...

Chaps, 

I noticed the twinwall section within cabin, was pretty hot. Hand on say 3 seconds.. then too hot. Still only done 1 fire.

I was surprised, expecting it to be only very warm at most.

Is this anything to be concerned with? I wrapped loft knauff insulation around it, fairly compact, in gap above ceiling plate.

Thanks, zoot.

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

How thick, and what keeps it in place?

My concern would be with the adhesive which may not be heat resistant.

Good point. No adhesive used, I just nipped a long  4" thick sausage off top of a knauff loft roll. Then pushed it in.

Also no adhesive on the inside collar plate which just holds it in sitting above it.

The only adhesive I've used, is Stick Like Sh*t all weather stuff I stuck down the rubber johnny roof collar thing, to the felt (& screws too into osb below).. & also a thin bead of it around the meeting of the johhny to the twinwall.

This tube stuff says heat tolerant up to 180*. Perhpasthen more Important I check this exterior application of it then.. rather than my concern of the knauff fluff.

Thanks, zoot.

@Onoff a question if I may:

Onoff I seem to recall your mention of an led battery light. I need one only really, nothing bright per se. 

Would this be the sort of thing you were thinking of? Or maybe you know of a better type. Thanks, zoot

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-Hapfish-Magnetic-Steplessly-Dimmable/dp/B0964XL5P5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

6 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@Onoff a question if I may:

Onoff I seem to recall your mention of an led battery light. I need one only really, nothing bright per se. 

Would this be the sort of thing you were thinking of? Or maybe you know of a better type. Thanks, zoot

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-Hapfish-Magnetic-Steplessly-Dimmable/dp/B0964XL5P5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

Can't remember. I was probably thinking more of this sort of thing with a solar panel you mount externally.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zchui-Waterproof-Double-lamp-Wall-Mounted-Greenhouse/dp/B0885Y19BX/ref=pd_aw_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B0885Y19BX&psc=1

32 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@zoothorn the twin wall will get warm but nothing to worry about. How high up were you holding..?  

Hi Peter, well on the middle of the 400mm H twinwall section within the cabin. It wasn't warm, as expected.. but hot.

Maybe I can attatch a radiator thermometre to it next fire.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Can't remember. I was probably thinking more of this sort of thing with a solar panel you mount externally.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zchui-Waterproof-Double-lamp-Wall-Mounted-Greenhouse/dp/B0885Y19BX/ref=pd_aw_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B0885Y19BX&psc=1

Ah yes the solar idea thanks. Great idea, but all cold blue light. I'm more inclined with the warmer light, so the one I linked to being similar'ish seems ok. But it charges via a USB.

Would you know about USB's? ( Or anyone?)

Thing is they used to be aplenty on laptops.. but I only have an ipad now. No usb.

I do though have a mains plug, simply with a USB port on it. Assuming it's the correct type ( a, b, c ) it's how I'd know the 'current' or voltage would be suitable.

Maybe not the place to ask such a computer Q tho.

Thanks, zoot.

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

No adhesive used,

My bad question. I meant that glass/rock wool is fibres that are glued together where they touch. If it gets wet it stinks and falls apart. so maybe that would also fail in heat.

If it is compressed enough that wont matter. 

I have rockwool stuffed hard around an uninsulated pipe, perhaps 50 thick, then plasterboard and it only gets slightly warm so you should be fine, but keep an eye on the surrounding area for any sign of colour change.

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

well on the middle of the 400mm H twinwall

That’s only 200mm up from where the 2 sections join - not surprised it gets hot as at the join to the enamel the inner and outer skins are connected.